Secondary Essay Examples

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laiba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never written and/or seen a secondary essay. I know its different and supposed to be unique to the applicant and all...but is there anyplace I can find sample secondary essays?
I really need to see examples before I can start writing :-s

is there any website for essays of successful applicants? or would anybody who got in in past years be willing to share their essays or part of their essays?

pleeeeaassseee

Members don't see this ad.

First, I gotta say that everytime I see your post the first thing that catches my eye is your avatar. Then I begin to read your post, but my eyes drift toward the avatar some more. Then I finish reading your post, and complete by looking at the avatar one last time. :love:

Anyway, if I'm not mistaken I believe you answer secondary essays a lot like a PS. It's just a paragraph or two about the question, but I'd imagine it would be more detailed in why "osteopathic medicine" as opposed to just medicine.

There are whole books in bookstores and amazon about how to write an essay. I doubt you will get someone to share their hard work with you. As you so succinctly put it, each essay is UNIQUE, and tells about the PERSON WHO WROTE IT. If you model your essay after someone else's, how is that unique?

To give you some perspective, I have seen essays that are haikus, interview-style, poems, blank, waaaaaaay too long, way too short, too esoteric, well written, with lots of spelling errors, one with absolutely the most awful grammar ever, in foreign languages, and even one that the person wrote in textspeak (yes, we were all appalled - don't do that). But the most successful essays were unique to the individual and not a canned version of someone else's idea of an essay.

The bottom line is, write it from your perspective. Write it FROM YOU, FOR YOU, ABOUT YOU. Not anyone else.

If you just can't do that, then you can either leave the page blank or just cut and paste your personal statement from your AACOMAS or AMCAS application. But don't think we won't notice. Didn't you take an english composition course? You should have had plenty of practice writing essays there.

Members don't see this ad :)
ShyRem's avatar keeps catching my eye

Reactions: 1 user
There are whole books in bookstores and amazon about how to write an essay. I doubt you will get someone to share their hard work with you. As you so succinctly put it, each essay is UNIQUE, and tells about the PERSON WHO WROTE IT. If you model your essay after someone else's, how is that unique?

To give you some perspective, I have seen essays that are haikus, interview-style, poems, blank, waaaaaaay too long, way too short, too esoteric, well written, with lots of spelling errors, one with absolutely the most awful grammar ever, in foreign languages, and even one that the person wrote in textspeak (yes, we were all appalled - don't do that). But the most successful essays were unique to the individual and not a canned version of someone else's idea of an essay.

The bottom line is, write it from your perspective. Write it FROM YOU, FOR YOU, ABOUT YOU. Not anyone else.

If you just can't do that, then you can either leave the page blank or just cut and paste your personal statement from your AACOMAS or AMCAS application. But don't think we won't notice. Didn't you take an english composition course? You should have had plenty of practice writing essays there.

I never stated or implied that that I never had practice writing essays. So I dont know why you would ask me if I've ever had an English composition course. There are many personal statement samples online so I thought there must be people willing to share their secondaries as well after they get into a medical school. Anyways, thanks for the tips. They were helpful.

I'm not in yet but if you want examples PM me and ill send you how I replied to some of the boilerplate type questions.

Wow, rude much? Seriously. What's the point to SDN forums if you are not going to get the help you need? It makes you hesitant to ask anything. Anyways, I've purchased those books and they did not help at all, so I pretty much wasted money there and sold those books back on ebay. Most essays made me think as to how they got into medical school with those awful essays so your phrase "I doubt you will get someone to share their hard work with you", those essays are not so great and I doubt they worked that hard to put their essays together. BUT, I do only agree with you on one thing, each essay is unique for each individual so write it from the heart.

I've already submitted my secondaries. If I can find one, I will PM you.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, rude much? Seriously. What's the point to SDN forums if you are not going to get the help you need? It makes you hesitant to ask anything.

Nothing like females cattin' on each other.

ISOHr.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not in yet but if you want examples PM me and ill send you how I replied to some of the boilerplate type questions.

super random but could you also PM that to me if you still have it

Puts up an attractive avatar -- probably a guy behind a computer screen, imposing as a girl (I know many boys who do this)

Draw in thirsty, naive members of SDN

Okay, back on topic........ I have to agree with @ShyRem. Each secondary is unique and based specifically to the writer.

I started out with an event/experience relevant to the secondary question. Connect to how to
1) Motivated me to go into medicine
2) Why DO
3) how I grew/developed through this experience
4) Made me a better candidate for medical school
5) exemplified certain quality (compassion, maturity, integrity, etc)

Then I paid an English writer/major to do the editing/revision :whistle:

Reactions: 1 user
Puts up an attractive avatar -- probably a guy behind a computer screen, imposing as a girl (I know many boys who do this)

Draw in thirsty, naive members of SDN

Okay, back on topic........ I have to agree with @ShyRem. Each secondary is unique and based specifically to the writer.

I started out with an event/experience relevant to the secondary question. Connect to how to
1) Motivated me to go into medicine
2) Why DO
3) how I grew/developed through this experience
4) Made me a better candidate for medical school
5) exemplified certain quality (compassion, maturity, integrity, etc)

Then I paid an English writer/major to do the editing/revision :whistle:

Very helpful! Isn't this basically the way the personal statement should be structured?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Very helpful! Isn't this basically the way the personal statement should be structured?

Yes, but the secondary questions are very specific. Sometimes it will ask
1) Why this school
2) Where do you fit in with the DO philosophy?
3) Ethical question(s)
4) How do you handle stress
5) What is your strengths and weaknesses

VERY similar to interview questions -- literally. The rereading my secondary before the interview helped.

At my last interview, my interviewer asked me if I ever attended an "interview class/program." I never did and said my answers are what the admission committee are looking for.