Secondary Q's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PalCareGrl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering what the questions on the secondary apps for DO schools look like - are they very specific, are they long essays, how long do they give you to send them back, etc...
I am especially interested in UNE (it's my first choice) and OU, Touro, LECOM, Arizona, and Chicago.
Any info and/or advice would be helpful.
Thanks!
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.

hi there,

the secondary apps for DO school were more involved than for aoolpathic school, something that benefitted me in the process.

Count on a question about why med & why DO?

What are some of your interests/hobbies?

Favorite science and non-science classes?

Someone in family a DO? Seen by a DO? Shadowed a DO?

Most meaningful volunteer or clinical experience? note: BE PREPARED to TALK TO THE INTERVIEWER ABOUT THIS EXPERIENCE....DO NOT GET STUCK TRYING TO "FAKE" YOUR WAY THROUGH THIS EXPERIENCE. If your most meaningful experience was working in an animal shelter, that's great. Maybe it gave you experience working with a patient who could not communicate with you or gave you a special reverence for life.

research background?

biggest strength? biggest weakness?

what are you looking for in a school? ask yourself this question before you apply....nothinglike wasting 75 bucks applying to the biggest school in the US when you want a small class.

good luck!
eeeelectra

sorry, missed this....

try and get the app back as soon as possible. It's enough that you have to wait for rec letters to get there. set a goal for yourself that each app gets back in two weeks. Sometimes it is hard...you just need to sit down and do the responses and essays, then GET IT IN!

Members don't see this ad :)
PalCareGrl.... I'll rummage through my secondaries and will get back to you tomorrow (I'm currently at work). I'm sure I still have TUCOM, LECOME, AZCOM, and CCOM.... So I'll give you the EXACT questions they had on this years secondaries. So, come back....
smile.gif

Electra- thank you so much, that really helps.

Popoy - thank you also, I look forward to seeing what your secondaries say.

Thanks for all of your help! Anything else you guys can think of would be great.
smile.gif

PalCareGrl,

Sorry this came in today a bit late?.. I got busy at work today. You're in for a rude awakening?. this posting if going to be pretty long. I didn't apply to OUCOM so I can't give you specifics.

IF there are others out there that would like to know the secondary questions in other osteopathic medical schools, please let me know?. As long as I applied to them, I will post them?

PalCareGrl, I have UNECOM, LECOM, CCOM, AZCOM, TUCOM?. Here goes the Secondary Questions you've asked for minus OUCOM:

University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine:
? Please comment briefly on how you became interested in Osteopathic Medicine (You get options and you make a very brief comments)
? Describe any contacts you may have had with medicine or health care delivery.
? How do you plan to finance your osteopathic medical education?
? List extra-curricular activities/interest:
? Have you ever been sanctioned by any employer, professional society, licensing board or similar agency or have you ever surrendered any professional license or certification? If yes, please explain, including date and state:
? In the space below present a written statement telling why you wish to become an Osteopathic Physician, why you wish to attend the University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, and any additional information you feel the college should know about you in order to aid the admissions committee in evaluating your application. (Attach additional sheets if necessary)
? What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to UNECOM?

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine:
? How do you plan to finance your osteopathic medical education?
? Have you ever interviewed for admissions to the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine?
? List any employment in chronological order beginning with your current position:
? Write a personal essay describing yourself and the qualities you possess which will make you a successful osteopathic physician.
? Explain or describe any clinical and/or health related experiences you have had, include extra-curricular school and community activities.

Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine (Midwestern University):
? List college extracurricular activities and honors. Include dates and leadership responsibilities.
? List community activities and honors. Include dates and leadership responsibilities.
? List your favorite hobbies and/or non-academic interests.
? List all medically related work and/or volunteer experiences. Include date, position, title, and responsibilities. You may attach a resume.
? Why did you apply to CCOM?
? Why should we accept you into this year's class?
? The student at Midwestern University have established a university wide honor code. The code is designed to promote and educate students on the importance of personal integrity in the medical profession and hopes to further Midwestern University as a community of integrity and trust. Given the importance Midwestern University places on honor and integrity please respond to the following question as completely as possible. Why are one's personal honor and integrity important in the medical profession?

Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine (Midwestern University) [YOU WILL NOTICE THIS IS ALMOST THE SAME AS CCOM's - there both Midwestern University branches]:
? List college extracurricular activities and honors. Include dates and leadership responsibilities. (extracurricular activity/honor, Dates)
? List community activities and honors. Include dates and leadership responsibilities. (community activities/honors and responsibilities, Dates)
? List your favorite hobbies and/or non academic interest
? List all medically related work and/or volunteer experiences. Include date, position, title, and responsibilities. You may attach a resume.
? On a separate sheet please answer the following questions:
? Why should we accept you into this year's class?
? If you applied to AZCOM last year, what have you done since then to improve your application?
? The students at Midwestern University have established a university wide honor code. The code is designed to promote and educate students on the importance of personal integrity in the medical profession and hopes to further Midwestern University as a community of integrity and trust. Given the importance Midwestern University places on honor and integrity please respond to the following question as completely as possible. Why are one's personal honor and integrity important in the medical profession?
? Have you ever enrolled in a health profession's education/training program as candidate for a certificate or degree?
? Have you ever applied to a program at this university before?
? Have you ever been the recipient of any action to any professional license or certification you have ever held?

Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine:
? What Award(s) or Recognition(s) have you received in college?
? List your favorite hobbies and/or non-academic interests:
? Employment Experience during the last three years (list in order of most recent experience) Employer, Occupation/Position, Duration of Employment
? Volunteer Experience, if any, during the last three years (list in order of most recent experience) Activity, Sponsor/Duration of Service, Position
? Are you Bi-Lingual? If yes, list languages in which you are fluent.
? Explain why you have chosen to apply to Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine:
? Why should the Admissions Committee accept you into this year's class?
? List any relative who is an osteopathic physician: Name, Relationship, Osteopathic Medical College Attended, Year Graduated
? Personal Statement - In the Space Provided, Please print or type a response to the following statement: Describe the personal characteristics you possess and the life experiences you have had that would contribute to your becoming an outstanding osteopathic physician. Please include information that will enable the Admissions Committee to understand your unique qualities.

I hope that helps?.. So if there are other med schools I can help you with, don't hesitate to post. Other than that, this will keep you pondering secondary questions for a long time?. or maybe not. Keep on postin'!!!

Later, P

Popoy - Thank you SO much for all of your help! I'm trying to stay ahead of the game, and this is a big help. :) Liz

LECOM's secondary application is on their website.

PalCareGrl - you're very welcome.... I wish you luck and if there is anything else I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

I've gotten to the point that I'm giving copies of my secondaries to my friends.... Anyway, getting a head of the game is always a great idea.

Keep the questions coming!!! :D