Secondary question about how applicant will bring diversity to the medical school ~ how does a white, middle-class, no hardships student approach that

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedMissteps

The Great West Coast
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Asking for another person. I’m not an applicant)

Secondary question about how the applicant will bring diversity to the medical school ~

So, how does a white, middle-class, no hardships, student approach that?

I’m guessing that the word “diversity” doesn’t just mean ethnic, economic, or geographical diversity. Is that a correct assumption?

What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Diverse experiences.

Reactions: 1 users
No, diversity isn’t limited to just economic, racial, or geographic.

Did you friend play collegiate sports? Work after college? Play an instrument for a long time? Lived with a special needs sibling? Was this friend a humanities major who just took the premed classes? Studied abroad in a unique country? Grow up in a mixed marriage household? Broke their arm 3 times?

It doesn’t have to be a contest in hardship, but just think if you were talking to a stranger, what is something that you’ve experienced that they might find interesting.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Secondary question about how the applicant will bring diversity to the medical school ~

I’m guessing that the word “diversity” doesn’t just mean ethnic, economic, or geographical diversity. Is that a correct assumption?

What are your thoughts?
Tell that person that introspection is a required trait for a doctor

Reactions: 2 users

What are your thoughts?
Perhaps a less-common skill set or knowledge base.

Reactions: 2 users