Seeking advice on gap year plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed21medlife

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a 4th year undergrad with a 3.38 cGPA/3.06 sGPA. I've worked as a medical assistant for over a year now and have a lot of clinical/volunteer experience with underserved communities for 2.5 years (also volunteer as a scribe here). I was in one research lab for a year and then switched to another one that I've been in since last April. I'm planning on taking my MCAT at the end of this summer but I am currently debating on doing either a post-bacc program, DIY post-bacc, or SMP this upcoming fall 2020. Not sure which would be best for my circumstances? Any help would be very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

SMPs are financially risky and can end your career if you're not able to handle the demanding coursework. Formal post-bac programs are usually for career switchers. The most cost effective plan is to do a DIY post-bac for several semesters and achieve a high upward trend to show adcoms you can handle med school. The length of your DIY post-bac depends on your goals. Load your semester with upper level science courses that are similar to those offered in medical school.

With your stats, I would consider the possibility of going to DO schools. Check my signature for DO school stats.

Reactions: 1 user