Seeking constructive criticism!

Jagen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an independent study student, as a senior in high school.

During the second half of my high school career (roughly 2 years), I went on an independent study to acquire more adequate treatment for some health conditions. Around this point, I fell off the wagon, and would say I have a weak foundation in regards to high school curriculum.

I finish the remainder of my senior course load in a week, so I will have more flexibility when it comes time.

I will be beginning my undergrad education in the fall, at UCR. I'm very interested in their Thomas Haider program, and I am considering if I should look into volunteer work in the inland empire of CA, to network.

In the time between now, and the beginning of my freshman year of undergrad, I plan to catch up with my peers (regarding high school curriculum), by self studying. I believe it is a great opportunity to practice self teaching, time management, and explore study methods.

I have a volunteer opportunity at an outpatient clinic during the summer. I am considering if I should look for additional volunteer opportunities before then, or even physicians to shadow.

Currently, I am in the process of applying to scholarships, and planning my study regimen.

I would like to know if you have anything in mind that could be added to my plan for the next few months, or perhaps if something featured on it is unnecessary.

Ps. Where's the fine line between a gunner and a motivated premed?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, just relax.

Reactions: 1 user
You've got a very long way to go before you need worry about your med school application. See to your health, and catch up on your studies. As long as Russia or North Korea don't start launching nukes, med school isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: 2 users
Looks fine, but remember to stay flexible. If part of it doesn't work out, or isn't as helpful as you thought it would be, or something better comes along, make sure you're ready to change.

Things you the summer between high school and college do not go on your med school app--it makes it look like you didn't do enough when you were actually in college. Your goal for this summer is to have a good resume that gets you better stuff in college.

A motivated med school student works hard and a gunner is a person always bragging about how hard they work. Stay humble. If you can't stay humble, stay silent.

Sorry my answer came off so short and snippy, I just can't think of better ways to phrase it.

Reactions: 1 user