This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeking Hope

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have spent the past 5 years processing and moving beyond personal and professional devastation due to harm caused by, what I strongly believe to be, an unfair determination made by the State Board of Examiners of Psychology. It would be very inaccurate for me to say I have been successful in my efforts to accept the situation since I have fallen into a progressive downward spiral of depression and loss of self-esteem. Even my sense of self-efficacy and locus of control has regressed over the past several years and I have become very negative and a poor interactional partner.

It is only recently that I have begun to entertain the thought that there may still be hope. My depression has not interfered with my ability to be logical or choose behaviors that are based on integrity. It is not my intent to provoke a negative discussion about the State Board of Examiners Psychology or question their integrity in a public manner.

This is my first attempt to question my rights as a mental health professional but also as a human being. I have come to a point that I need to at least try to stand up and represent my side of the story and the truth. I am entirely convinced the Board's final determination was unfounded and swayed by inaccurate and irrelevant information volunteered by a colleague with malicious intent. I also have legitimate reason to believe the entire process was highly unethical and illegal. However, I would prefer to discuss that information with someone who will be able to use it in a way that will help me decide whether or not I have a legitimate case against the Board and, more importantly, overcome these feelings that I have internalized for years.

I would appreciate any suggestions for how I might seek professional legal representation from a party that is entirely unbiased. The professional challenges created in this event has made it difficult for me to obtain employment which has contributed to a significant loss in income. I cannot afford to pay an attorney to represent me. Also, most attorneys are not qualified to offer advice regarding my rights and whether or not I have been ethically or legally discriminated against. I am praying that someone within this community has the ability to help me.

Sincerely,
Seeking Hope

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unless you are part of a federally recognized protected class, and their actions were based upon this class membership, you cannot file a discrimination suit. Discrimination based on anything else is usually totally okay in most states.

Human rights isn't going to work either. The USA does not participate in the universal declaration of human rights.

As for an unbiased atty: any atty who is hired to represent you is legally bound to be biased in your favor.

Finding a free attorney is easy. Look up legal services. Geez.

Finding a psychologist is also easy. Look up some names in the yellow pages. Get help.

Based on that response I see it would help if I offer some clarification. I hold a Master's Degree in psychology and this is the chronological order of events. I applied for and was given a temporary license to practice; after graduating, completing internship, and before temporary license expired - I received notice of eligibility to sit for the EPPP, passed the EPPP, received passing score above state requirement for doctoral level, paid all applicable fees, received e-mail from Board secretary stating 'Congratulations. Your license will come by mail', someone called the Board to report I was practicing without a license (I know this was a colleague with malicious because this person admitted it to me afterwards), I received notification from the Board that my license was being 'temporarily held' because of information that was on both my application for temporary licensure and application for LPA, (this information had been known for well over a year), I ceased practice during investigation, but the Board then charged me with practicing without a license because I had resumed practice when I received e-mail from the Board's Secretary stating I had been awarded my license (not being aware for weeks of the 'temporary hold', the Board then conducted another investigation (the entire investigation took over
months), after months of not being able to do my job I was terminated. The Board's final decision was to place a stipulation on my license, charge a ridiculous fee as a fine, among other stipulations that I will gladly discuss with someone who has a legal background and can advise me in the best way to proceed.

I am not stating that I specifically have a case involving 'discrimination' or 'human rights' or any other specific legal terminology, as I am not a lawyer. I am simply asking if there might be someone out there who is kind and willing to help me address this properly. I graduated Summa Cum Laude and had received indication from the board that I was eligible for licensure (with no mention of stipulation) based on information that I had provided the Board with on multiple previous occasions.

I understand there will be those of you out there who will feel compelled to criticize and make condescending statements followed by a remark indicating frustration (i.e. previous response: "Finding a free attorney is easy. Look up legal services. Geez."). Not only is this unhelpful it is even more discouraging, unnecessary, and a waste of both our time. Please assume I have common sense. However, it is fair to assume that I do not have access to a lawyer familiar with this type of situation. Most attorney's aren't overly familiar with the practices of the State Board of Examiners of Psychology. Please be friendly.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking to an attorney would be the best advice in this scenario. I'm not sure what speciality area would most apply, as this is a pretty unique situation (i.e. dealing with a licensing board). Have you considered contacting APA and asking for assistance working with the licensing board and/or if they know of a lawyer whom you could consult with about this matter? Alternatively, consider a search for a forensic psychologist in KY who has a J.D. in addition to their psych licensure, as they may be more likely to explain the state laws surrounding psychology licensure. If not in KY, a Ph.D/J.D. elsewhere may also be helpful because while there are wrinkles between state licensure laws, they all have to be written in such a way that conforms to legal standards (e.g. definitions, structure, etc). A J.D. would have to have taken courses in legal writing and would be most likely familiar with the applicable legal considerations surrounding enforcement of statutes, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, most attorneys are not qualified to offer advice regarding my rights and whether or not I have been ethically or legally discriminated against. I am praying that someone within this community has the ability to help me.

This is what attorneys do. This is not what psychologists do, nor usually know the slightest thing about (unless they also have a JD). What your resistance to getting qualified legal advice?

Speaking to an attorney would be the best advice in this scenario. I'm not sure what speciality area would most apply, as this is a pretty unique situation (i.e. dealing with a licensing board). Have you considered contacting APA and asking for assistance working with the licensing board and/or if they know of a lawyer whom you could consult with about this matter? Alternatively, consider a search for a forensic psychologist in KY who has a J.D. in addition to their psych licensure, as they may be more likely to explain the state laws surrounding psychology licensure. If not in KY, a Ph.D/J.D. elsewhere may also be helpful because while there are wrinkles between state licensure laws, they all have to be written in such a way that conforms to legal standards (e.g. definitions, structure, etc).
Speaking to an attorney would be the best advice in this scenario. I'm not sure what speciality area would most apply, as this is a pretty unique situation (i.e. dealing with a licensing board). Have you considered contacting APA and asking for assistance working with the licensing board and/or if they know of a lawyer whom you could consult with about this matter? Alternatively, consider a search for a forensic psychologist in KY who has a J.D. in addition to their psych licensure, as they may be more likely to explain the state laws surrounding psychology licensure. If not in KY, a Ph.D/J.D. elsewhere may also be helpful because while there are wrinkles between state licensure laws, they all have to be written in such a way that conforms to legal standards (e.g. definitions, structure, etc).

Thanks! You are exactly right. Finding an attorney with the right specialty, and one that I can afford will be a challenge. I will check around the site and other forums, hopefully finding someone with the credentials you suggested. I never thought about a forensic psychologist with a JD but that is a great idea.

Thanks a ton!

This is what attorneys do. This is not what psychologists do, nor usually know the slightest thing about (unless they also have a JD). What your resistance to getting qualified legal advice?

It isn't resistance. It's lack of financial ability. I can not financially afford to hire a private attorney. I've contacted Legal Aid a few times, but they either say they can't help me and I need to find an attorney that specializes in psychology licensure - which I haven't been able to find any that are taking cases on a contingency basis. I thought I had already mentioned that, so thanks for pointing out that I need to reiterate.

Unfortunately this type of legal consultation is not a good fit for a contingency agreement. What you will probably find is only hourly consultation arrangements, much like having an attorney review legal documents or vet a business agreement.

Contingency agreements are made with the expectation of recovery of funds valued at a higher amount than the hourly equivilant, as there is an amount of risk associated with taking cases that may not be successful.

Best of luck w. your search.

You specifically waived your rights to appeal or receive judicial review. Further litigation won't be able to proceed.

You may have done this already, but googling professional licensure defense and Kentucky Board seems to bring up many law firms that specialize in this. Getting them to take you on pro bono is another manner, but if you come up with a list of firms and then contact each one, you may just find one.

These are some firms I found doing a quick search:

http://www.tmslawplc.com/practice-professional-licensure-defense.html

http://www.demoiseylaw.com/practice-areas/administrative-law-and-professional-licensure-defense.html

http://eldergood.com/about/

http://www.darbygazak.com/Firm-Overview/Medical-Licensure-Defense.shtml

Last edited:
I'm confused. Did you, or did you not, practice without a license?

Members don't see this ad :)
No. I ceased practice the moment I was told to do so.

This all publicly accessible info. That not what the admin action document said. And there is much more to the story that you haven't revealed here, right?

You may have done this already, but googling professional licensure defense and Kentucky Board seems to bring up many law firms that specialize in this. Getting them to take you on pro bono is another manner, but if you come up with a list of firms and then contact each one, you may just find one.

These are some firms I found doing a quick search:

http://www.tmslawplc.com/practice-professional-licensure-defense.html

http://www.demoiseylaw.com/practice-areas/administrative-law-and-professional-licensure-defense.html

http://eldergood.com/about/

http://www.darbygazak.com/Firm-Overview/Medical-Licensure-Defense.shtml
Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using SDN mobile app

This all publicly accessible info. That not what the admin action document said. And there is much more to the story that you haven't revealed here, right?

OMG. Are you for real? You couldn't possibly be a real psychological practitioner. You don't know me or my situation at all. Are you a psychic? So far you are 0 for 0 and you are making a fool out of yourself. What's next? Are you going to tell me my hair and eye color and guess my children's birthday. I would like to know if my first grandchild will be a boy? LOL

Seriously though, I'm sorry you are not doing well. You really should get back on your meds. Also, you are in the wrong forum. This would be much more appropriate for your condition:

http://www.psychforums.com/delusional-disorder/

I think you will find you have much more in common with people there. Maybe you will even meet another nice little clairvoyant, like yourself. I wouldn't be surprised to Santa Claus isn't on there.

Last edited:
If you're a good little boy and get on there right away I won't even tell him you've been naughty.

Last edited:
Uhhhh. You think that this behavior is convincing people to help you to get a license?

Reactions: 1 users
You know what's funny?

This person sounds like the odd homophobe we were dealing with few days back.

OMG. Are you for real? You couldn't possibly be a real psychological practitioner. You don't know me or my situation at all. Are you a psychic? So far you are 0 for 0 and you are making a fool out of yourself. What's next? Are you going to tell me my hair and eye color and guess my children's birthday. I would like to know if my first grandchild will be a boy? LOL

Seriously though, I'm sorry you are not doing well. You really should get back on your meds

Seriously though, I'm sorry you are not doing well. You really should get back on your meds. Also, you are in the wrong forum. This would be much more appropriate for your condition:

http://www.psychforums.com/delusional-disorder/

I think you will find you have much more in common with people there. Matthew will even meet another nice little clairvoyant, like yourself. I wouldn't be surprised to Santa Claus isn't on there.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using SDN mobile app
Yes, I'm "for real." All disciplinary actions that are adjudicated by licensing boards are posted and publicly available. Same as an arrest record, mugshot, etc.

This post does not help your cause or your request for assistance.

I'm confused. Did you, or did you not, practice without a license?
Uhhhh. You think that this behavior is convincing people to help you to get a license?

Are you the type that tries to 'force' change in people. Let me explain something about people that you have obviously missed. First, people do a pretty good job of telling you what they need. Second, it is not your 'job' nor do you have the ability to 'force' anybody to accept your pathetic and twisted narcissistic way of thinking. You are a disgrace to people who choose to work in the mental health field with the intention of helping people. Your need for control is not impressive and it certainly isn't helpful.

I assume you are intelligent enough to realize that if you are not capable of helping someone you are a failure in this profession. If anything you are toxic and will only manage to cause more animosity and resentment.

I will not miss anything if you take your opinions and put it somewhere else. You have not made one relevant or beneficial comment. In fact, I would like to request that you keep any further comments to yourself. You are wasting my time.

Yes, I'm "for real." All disciplinary actions that are adjudicated by licensing boards are posted and publicly available. Same as an arrest record, mugshot, etc.

This post does not help your cause or your request for assistance.
Neither do you...

Are you the type that tries to 'force' change in people. Let me explain something about people that you have obviously missed. First, people do a pretty good job of telling you what they need. Second, it is not your 'job' nor do you have the ability to 'force' anybody to accept your pathetic and twisted narcissistic way of thinking. You are a disgrace to people who choose to work in the mental health field with the intention of helping people. Your need for control is not impressive and it certainly isn't helpful.

I assume you are intelligent enough to realize that if you are not capable of helping someone you are a failure in this profession. If anything you are toxic and will only manage to cause more animosity and resentment.

I will not miss anything if you take your opinions and put it somewhere else. You have not made one relevant or beneficial comment. In fact, I would like to request that you keep any further comments to yourself. You are wasting my time.

Violate multiple KSRs. Waive rights to counsel. Regret. Come to message board for help. Post details of your case. Ask for advice/input. Do not like some of the facts pointed out by some posters. Insult these posters. Did I miss anything?

I really don't know what options you think you have here. You didn't actually receive a license because of something in your background. You began practicing when a secretary sent you an email, not when you actually received any official notification from the board. You practiced psychology without license (you never had a license, so any work you did was practicing without license). This was reported, as it should have been. Now your mad about it.

Last edited:
Weird that there's an npi number with a social work identifier attached to that name in Ky, but not listed as licensed by the ky social work license verification.

Seeking Hope, if some of the above posts are true, if it were me, I would move on to the next situation. If it is true (not saying that it is) that:

1. Something in your background prevented you from getting a license
AND
2. You practiced without a license, or were found to be guilty by the board of such action

Then that is a bit of a double whammy. I would concede, explore new options, including those outside of this field, and move on.

All that said, your best bet IMHO is to seek legal advice, as described above.

Status
Not open for further replies.