Seeking MCAT advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drvldemort

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm a little worried about when I should take my MCAT. I'm currently in my last semester to receive my bachelors. I'm 21, have a high GPA, have many ECs (including being president of an honor society), have research, and worked. My only issue is that I would like to apply for this upcoming cycle which means I'd have to take the MCAT sometime before June. Currently I'm having financial issues which would probably mean I can't take a prep course and apply to many schools. I know there are assistance programs but I am considered an international student which makes me ineligible for many of the programs (I have a social and am here legally it's just a complicated status). I was contemplating whether I should apply next year when I know I can afford the application, MCAT prep, and have more time. Does it look bad that I'd technically be starting Medical School two years after I graduate? I'd like to work at a pharmacy company as a lab tech during the meantime while still shadowing. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

You will receive plenty of advice stating that this is a marathon, not a sprint. This much is true, but on a more practical level, it is an expensive process. Just application and secondary fees are tough enough, then you add in travel to interviews. It adds up. I think your option of delaying the process while you prepare is the best choice. Don't worry about starting school a few years after you graduate. You will not be an anomaly in this. Best to do it when you can as opposed to trying to force the situation.

Reactions: 2 users
You will receive plenty of advice stating that this is a marathon, not a sprint. This much is true, but on a more practical level, it is an expensive process. Just application and secondary fees are tough enough, then you add in travel to interviews. It adds up. I think your option of delaying the process while you prepare is the best choice. Don't worry about starting school a few years after you graduate. You will not be an anomaly in this. Best to do it when you can as opposed to trying to force the situation.
Thank you so much! I agree. Your advice is greatly appreciated!