SEEKING MCAT PREPARATION ADVICE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joemm426

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will be taking MCAT in summer of 2018.

So far, I have taken most courses tested on MCAT, except statistics and biochem, both of which I will take before the test.

Currently, I am receiving weekly, one-hour tutoring lessons for MCAT. During those lessons, my tutor and I go over the thirty-minute practice exams in the 9th edition Exam Krackers books. I usually score, according to those thirty-minute practice exams, around 50th percentile (125). I have heard that the Exam Krackers thirty-minute exams are generally more challenging than the actual exam. Can anyone comment on this?

I plan to continue doing the 30-minute practice exams in the Exam Krackers books until I have done them all, which will probably happen by summer of 2017. I will probably begin doing full length practice exams by summer of 2017. I have heard that Nextstep and AAMC practice exams are good. Can anyone comment on this?

I have access to The Princeton Review studying materials for new MCAT. I may study those books in addition to Exam Krackers. Would you advise this?

May I receive some advice about how to best prepare for MCAT based on my situation? Maybe you would like to tell me what score you earned on the MCAT and how you studied?

Thank you,
Joemm0426

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

So far, I have taken most courses tested on MCAT, except statistics and biochem, both of which I will take before the test.

Currently, I am receiving weekly, one-hour tutoring lessons for MCAT. During those lessons, my tutor and I go over the thirty-minute practice exams in the 9th edition Exam Krackers books. I usually score, according to those thirty-minute practice exams, around 50th percentile (125). I have heard that the Exam Krackers thirty-minute exams are generally more challenging than the actual exam. Can anyone comment on this?

I plan to continue doing the 30-minute practice exams in the Exam Krackers books until I have done them all, which will probably happen by summer of 2017. I will probably begin doing full length practice exams by summer of 2017. I have heard that Nextstep and AAMC practice exams are good. Can anyone comment on this?

I have access to The Princeton Review studying materials for new MCAT. I may study those books in addition to Exam Krackers. Would you advise this?

May I receive some advice about how to best prepare for MCAT based on my situation? Maybe you would like to tell me what score you earned on the MCAT and how you studied?

Thank you,
Joemm0426
I found a study schedule online and customized it to my own needs. I set aside a full summer to study but if you have a semester in which you know you can dedicate time, that works too. Make sure to stick to the schedule. One correction I may make: CARS is not something you can practice once a week, even if you do all the practice passages of the week. It has to be spaced out and done every day.
Do content review, but then also build in time to go back and review old material from a few weeks ago. You need to see the material more than once.
Analyze any mistakes you make, because otherwise you may make them again.
Having a tutor is good. I do recommend the AAMC practice exams.

My study skills worked, I got a score I liked

Reactions: 1 user
I found a study schedule online and customized it to my own needs. I set aside a full summer to study but if you have a semester in which you know you can dedicate time, that works too. Make sure to stick to the schedule. One correction I may make: CARS is not something you can practice once a week, even if you do all the practice passages of the week. It has to be spaced out and done every day.
Do content review, but then also build in time to go back and review old material from a few weeks ago. You need to see the material more than once.
Analyze any mistakes you make, because otherwise you may make them again.
Having a tutor is good. I do recommend the AAMC practice exams.

My study skills worked, I got a score I liked
Thank you for your input.

Hello,

Thank you,
Joemm0426

I think that the Altius FLs are the best in representation of the real thing.