Selection Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JA_Perez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, does anybody knows if the scores of both Step 1 and 2 are considered individually or averaged?

Second, I heard that numbers and honors(Steps, Avg, AOA etc) will just get you through the interview screening process. After you get an interview, you will have the same chances as the rest of the interviewees of being accepted no matter what your numbers are. Is that true?

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by JA_Perez
First, does anybody knows if the scores of both Step 1 and 2 are considered individually or averaged?

Second, I heard that numbers and honors(Steps, Avg, AOA etc) will just get you through the interview screening process. After you get an interview, you will have the same chances as the rest of the interviewees of being accepted no matter what your numbers are. Is that true?

:confused:

Although I did my residency in Canada, I did a fellowship at a large US hospital and had enough of a glimpse at the selection process to give you an opinion.
My recollection is that most people have not yet written step 2 at the time of their application (fall of 4th year), so I think that only step 1 is considered. At the program that I was part of, the honours and numbers were still important after the interviews. The interview score is factored into the equation. The residency director mentionned that a significant number of interviewees didn't actually have much of a chance----they were there as insurance in the event that the top candidates didn't choose the program.

I also have a question.

What exactly is considered from the first two yrs [where the grading is pass/fail] and the clinical yrs apart from USMLE-1?

What else matters?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
if everything is pass/fail, it is hard to evaluate the first 2 years, unless you failed something. but don't forget aoa status - you basically have to pretty in the pre-clinical years to get in.