Send foreign transcript to AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md2011

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My bachlor degree is from a foreign university, and the university doesn't have the service of sending the transcript out. But it does provide a sealed envelop. Will this be all right with AMCAS? Plus, the grades are all in 100 scale, do they need to be converted to 4 points scale by an official American translation service company, such as WES? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

md2011 said:
My bachlor degree is from a foreign university, and the university doesn't have the service of sending the transcript out. But it does provide a sealed envelop. Will this be all right with AMCAS? Plus, the grades are all in 100 scale, do they need to be converted to 4 points scale by an official American translation service company, such as WES? Thanks!

Hello MD2011,

AMCAS doesn't take foreign transcripts. Most schools will require you have at least 90 credits in an american institution though.

md2011 said:
The previous poster is correct: AMCAS will not use foreign transcripts to obtain your GPA and, in fact, their fine print states that you should ask for a trascript waiver. I did something a little different. I arranged for an official transcript to be sent by my undergraduate institution to WES as well as arranging for WES to send an official evaluation to AMCAS. AMCAS did not verify my evaluated grades (assign a GPA and say "we agree") but they did leave the evaluated grades on the AMCAS form for schools to see. Realize that you will essentially be applying without an undergraduate GPA and this will get you screened out by many schools. A foreign undergraduate degree is a huge stigma. You can do three additional things to help: 1. arrange for official WES transcripts to be sent to the director of each medical school admissions committee. 2. repeat your prereq's (chem/bio/phys/english) in the U.S. 3. make sure you have 60-90 credits completed in the U.S. or Canada (varies for different medical schools). To maximize your chance of admssion, it's best to do all three. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did take bio/chem/org chem/eng in community college. I wonder how credit hours are calculated? How many credit hours are counted for 2 semester biology? I understand taking courses at community college is an disadvantage to me, but the place where I lived is too far from any 4 year college, and I have a master degree from MIT, so I figured it might be ok. I just scored 33N (13Phys, 11Bio, 9 Verb) in April 06. What should I do to improve my chance into med school?

Thank you very very much in advance.

md2011 said:
I did take bio/chem/org chem/eng in community college. I wonder how credit hours are calculated? How many credit hours are counted for 2 semester biology? I understand taking courses at community college is an disadvantage to me, but the place where I lived is too far from any 4 year college, and I have a master degree from MIT, so I figured it might be ok. I just scored 33N (13Phys, 11Bio, 9 Verb) in April 06. What should I do to improve my chance into med school?

Thank you very very much in advance.
Usually a one-semester class plus lab is between 4 and 6 credits (usually 4). Your U.S. transcript will tell you but my guess is that your community college experience will amount to around 32 credits. Be sure that you have lab credits for chemistry, biology, physics, organic chemistry. That is also critical. Your MIT transcript, similarly, will state how many credits you have. For my graduate work in the U.S., AMCAS and all the medical schools I applied to counted my research credits as well as formal classes. Most schools asked me for 90 credits. One or two asked for 60 credits. I had 91.

Scottish Chap said:
Usually a one-semester class plus lab is between 6 and 8 credits (usually 6). Your U.S. transcript will tell you but my guess is that your community college experience will amount to around 24 credits. Be sure that you have lab credits for chemistry, biology, physics, organic chemistry. That is also critical. Your MIT transcript, similarly, will state how many credits you have. For my graduate work in the U.S., AMCAS and all the medical schools I applied to counted my research credits as well as formal classes. Most schools asked me for 90 credits. One or two asked for 60 credits. I had 91.

What's interesting about my MIT credits hours is that they are a lot more comparing to those in community college. For example, a microeconomics class that meet twice a week is recorded as 12 hours, but the community college or might other university would record that as 4. I read somewhere saying that only undergraduate credits are counted, is that true?

md2011 said:
I read somewhere saying that only undergraduate credits are counted, is that true?
I only had U.S. graduate schools credits plus 8 credits of a prereq. that I was missing. Most schools told me they will accept a mixture of U.S. graduate schools credits and prereq's to satisfy the 60-90 credit requirement. However, there were schools that wanted only U.S. prereq's and no mix of graduate credits. I did not apply to those schools.

Scottish Chap said:
I only had U.S. graduate schools credits plus 8 credits of a prereq. that I was missing. Most schools told me they will accept a mixture of U.S. graduate schools credits and prereq's to satisfy the 60-90 credit requirement. However, there were schools that wanted only U.S. prereq's and no mix of graduate credits. I did not apply to those schools.

Thank you so much!

I am reviewing my transcript of the foreign undergraduate, and realize that most of my grades are in 70's and 80's. My professors at undergraduate university had very strict grading system, lots of times the whole class of grades are square rooted and multiply by 10 to bring up most students's grades to above 60. There was never scaled grades. My university actually is the top university in the country. But with such low grades, I wonder how WES going to convert it, are they going to give them to B's and C's? If that is the case, am I better off to waive the undergraduate transcript?

md2011 said:
I am reviewing my transcript of the foreign undergraduate, and realize that most of my grades are in 70's and 80's. My professors at undergraduate university had very strict grading system, lots of times the whole class of grades are square rooted and multiply by 10 to bring up most students's grades to above 60. There was never scaled grades. My university actually is the top university in the country. But with such low grades, I wonder how WES going to convert it, are they going to give them to B's and C's? If that is the case, am I better off to waive the undergraduate transcript?
The U.K. is the same way....almost impossible (and I really mean it when I say this) to get above 85% and all exams are cumulative, no curving, with 100% weighting on one exam for the whole year's work. Get the WES evaluation ASAP and don't fret anymore. It's impossible to predict what you'll get.

Scottish Chap said:
The U.K. is the same way....almost impossible (and I really mean it when I say this) to get above 85% and all exams are cumulative, no curving, with 100% weighting on one exam for the whole year's work. Get the WES evaluation ASAP and don't fret anymore. It's impossible to predict what you'll get.

Thank you, Scottish Chap. OK, will do it ASAP. Should I explain my grade when I apply? If yes, where should it be done? in the personal statement essay or a separate sheet?

md2011 said:

Actually I don't know if you want to have your WES transcript evaluation attached to your AMCAS then. Your GPA will not be calculate but it will be quite obvious to any adcomm that you are not a 4.0. That might be a shot in the foot.
I would just get a degree evaluation (not listing the courses) plus the credits you took in US.

md2011 said:

Actually I don't know if you want to have your WES transcript evaluation attached to your AMCAS then. Your GPA will not be calculate but it will be quite obvious to any adcomm that you are not a 4.0. That might be a shot in the foot.
I would just get a degree evaluation (not listing the courses) plus the credits you took in US.

Hi MD2011 and all,

this is what I did and worked (for me at least).

I did the evaluation first (had the evaluated transcript in my hands) + requested an official copy to be sent to Interfolio (I used their service for LOR as well). I put all of my classes taken overseas on AMCAS with grades, talked to AMCAS they told me they will not deal with my foreign degree => I didn't send it to then, on my verified AMCAS all classes were listed but without grades. I called all the schls I was interested in, most said 60-90 credits in US - I had all prereqs + MS done here, some upper level classes as well which counted toward undergrad (total of 93 undegrad units) but most schls actually wanted to see a degree from here, so I did the MS (which you already have). When it came time for 2ndaries when I was sending LOR I included the evaluated transcripts as well. Keep the contact of the eval agency handy b/c when shcl starts you will need official transcript of your undergrad as well.

Don't fear the eval transcript - they know what they are doing, they know both systems and will eval the transcript fairly, but do it quickly. It is good to have the classes on AMCAS b/c schls will see you've taken tons of classes. I can't stress enough how important it is to talk to each schl you want to apply, tell them your story and ask what they want. I am sure you will be able to represent yourself nicely and wish you a very successful application cycle. Let me know if I can be of any further help

Good luck to all
spartan_md
md2011 said: