sending a LOI pre-secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cHocoBo 118

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i have a serious concern and really need the help of you SDNers. I have received all my secondaries EXCEPT the UCs. This sucks for me since I REALLY REALLY want to stay in CA. I have been verified since 7/5 and did NOT take the aug mcat. As a ucla alumni, its my dream to return there. Is it a bad idea to write a LOI to the dean this early? I kept the letter relatively simple... basically states I would like further opportunity to prove myself as a good match by receiving a secondary and that I really love their school. My adviser states I should keep waiting but my thinking is its been way too long and i'm pretty sure im on the rejection pile ready for them to send out the final notices on them. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

a letter of intent would not be of any value until AFTER an interview at the earliest. Sending one pre-secondary would probably just get the admissions committee to laugh at you.

dont do it.
-mota

Members don't see this ad :)
my guess would be if you're already in the "rejected" pile, an LOI isn't going to change that...but if you're not in that pile and they're still considering you, the LOI will make you look needy and hurt you more than it'll help you, so i definitely wouldn't do it if i were you.

cHocoBo 118 said:
so i have a serious concern and really need the help of you SDNers. I have received all my secondaries EXCEPT the UCs. This sucks for me since I REALLY REALLY want to stay in CA. I have been verified since 7/5 and did NOT take the aug mcat. As a ucla alumni, its my dream to return there. Is it a bad idea to write a LOI to the dean this early? I kept the letter relatively simple... basically states I would like further opportunity to prove myself as a good match by receiving a secondary and that I really love their school. My adviser states I should keep waiting but my thinking is its been way too long and i'm pretty sure im on the rejection pile ready for them to send out the final notices on them. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

You really should not send anything (I agree with what people above said). You never know, they could eventually send you a secondary. I believe you can appeal rejections, and that would be the moment to send a letter of appeal/intent.

Also for what you said about "that I really love their school", I'm not sure that will help you. I would instead focus on how you want to serve California's diverse population etc. or people from that county...Just stating that you love their curriculum doesn't really say anything about you. But stating your intentions as a medical student at their school is more convincing....

cHocoBo 118 said:

I'm in the same boat.. I am not going to send a LOI. Just hold out, I'm sure we'll get a secondary after they get tired of being number ******.