Senioritis, a gap year, and an MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Prairiepalmeri

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I'm graduating this spring and am taking a gap year because I didn't become a biology major until my sophomore year. I've had all A's and A-'s until last semester when OChem pulled a quick one on me and I ended up with a dreaded C (I've still managed to avoid a B though, right?). Right now I'm taking Genetics, Ochem 2, Physics 2, biochem and my senior thesis. Without derailing, I hope I'll pull a mixture of A's and A-'s this semester and graduate with a cGPA of 3.85 and a sGPA of 3.80.

In other news, I've done a bit of volunteering, 2 years as an RA, some volunteering at our local hospital, and participated in a SURF program last summer. I was in a clinical research lab so I got to do a lot of shadowing with two MD's, residents, a fellow, a PA and a nurse.

I applied for the NIH Postbac program and I don't think I got a position. I'm planning on taking the July MCAT and am currently looking for non science related jobs. What suggestions and recommendations do you guys have in order for me to have a successful upcoming cycle. Also, what are valuable experiences that I can have this year in order to show my commitment during interviews. Any application suggestions would be appreciated. (I'm kinda worried about this new MCAT....no psychology/sociology course ever taken)...

Thanks