This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I want to find out if some courses will count towards my science GPA. I understand that this goes based on the course catalog description at my college as opposed to the course code but there are some courses that I was told by my advisor and fellow premeds that count towards my sGPA but I don't think that they do... I also know to take advice from advisers and fellow premeds with a grain of NaCl... so not entirely sure... Please let me know thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

What courses?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Really you can classify whatever you want as a science class when you do amcas. It may get re-classified when they review your app though - and this could result in delaying your app

The description from the OP should these as applied or directly medical oriented classes, thus will be classified health scirnce. I believe the OP was interested in selecting courses to take based on BCPM wnd not on how to deal with previously taken classes

Yes I was. Thanks.

You can finesse the system- I certainly did.

Don’t do anything outrageous, but feel free to put the burden of proving that the A you got in Tx of Athletic injuries is non science and not biology on the shoulders of AMCAS verifiers

You can finesse the system- I certainly did.

Don’t do anything outrageous, but feel free to put the burden of proving that the A you got in Tx of Athletic injuries is non science and not biology on the shoulders of AMCAS verifiers

Didn’t know you could petition... that’s really interesting. I’ll look into it.

I did research for a few semesters, still doing it now. I got credit for it but the grading is either S (Satisfactory) or NS (Not Satisfactory). I got the S, but does this count towards my sGPA? I personally feel it should because I did lots of lab work + lots of writing and will be presenting a poster soon. Also dedicated several hours a week for the research project... But would this count as an A? Please let me know. Sorry to bump this thread. I'm asking for a separate course now. Thanks.

1) I did research for a few semesters, still doing it now. I got credit for it but the grading is either S (Satisfactory) or NS (Not Satisfactory). I got the S, but does this count towards my sGPA? I personally feel it should because I did lots of lab work + lots of writing and will be presenting a poster soon.
2) Also dedicated several hours a week for the research project... But would this count as an A? Please let me know. Sorry to bump this thread. I'm asking for a separate course now.
1) No. AMCAS does not assign a weight to a Satisfactory/Not Satisfactory grading scale. It will not affect your BCPM GPA.

2) No. Reference: see page 2, 3rd grid from the top, item 61: https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...692785e/amcas_grade_conversion_chart_2018.pdf

Reactions: 1 user