Shadowing in a hospital vs. private clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CAP20

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! Can anybody who has shadowed a dentist in a hospital talk about your experience? Is getting a shadowing opportunity in a hospital harder than getting an opportunity in a private clinic? Thanks for any input!
 
As a predent I shadowed some of my dental school friends who had graduated and joined a GPR program, which are often in hospital settings. That might be a decent starting point if you're trying to get hospital based shadowing.

Most of what I saw was typical dentistry you'd see in private practice, but that was likely just luck of the draw in terms of patients I observed.
 
I'm currently volunteering/shadowing at a dental clinic set in a hospital, and I think it's been a great experience for me personally (part of it is just the friendly atmosphere of everyone there)! My school's volunteering organization has a program specifically for hospital units, and the dental clinic is one of them. I like to see the dentists and residents interact with each other and the patients, and I think it's great to see dentistry in a non-private setting as well (a bonus for me is that there is always someone to shadow since there are 4 dentists on the floor and 2 residents). As said above, it's the same type of dental work you'd see in the private clinics, but you may have opportunities to ask the residents questions about schools and the things they're doing since they know you're in the process of working to become a dental student too.