Shadowing questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captain bhangra

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im probably going to start shadowing an IM doc next week. I had a few questions regarding clothing, time span, etc... what should i wear or should i just ask him? Also, how long as in how many days, and for how many hours should i shadow him?
Additionally, after i am down shadowing him, would it be appropriate to ask him to introduce me to a surgeon who would be willing to let me shadow him?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

im probably going to start shadowing an IM doc next week. I had a few questions regarding clothing, time span, etc... what should i wear or should i just ask him? Also, how long as in how many days, and for how many hours should i shadow him?
Additionally, after i am down shadowing him, would it be appropriate to ask him to introduce me to a surgeon who would be willing to let me shadow him?

thanks

Best to just call and ask what is appropriate to wear. Its going to be different for everyone. You dont need to shadow for an excessive amount of time. Twenty hours is probably a good amount, but if you enjoy it, and the doctor allows it, then by all means keep doing it. I shadowed an orthoepdic surgeon for an entire summer because I loved it! And yea, you can definitely ask him if he knows another doc to shadow! I've done that before and it worked out well (asked a famiyl practice doc about a trauma surgeon and I ended up shadowing the surrgeon multiple times). Good luck!

thanks

Ask as many q's as you can. Ask him about his lifestyle, his hours, family, colleagues, patients, etc etc... Shadowing is a great time to learn for yourself about how a practicing doctor lives his/her life.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the advice, i just dont want to intrude to much on him since he is a family friend

so i am starting to shadow him tomorrow. when i asked him what should i wear he said just dress nice. so can i just wear a polo with a sweater and khakis or something?

so i am starting to shadow him tomorrow. when i asked him what should i wear he said just dress nice. so can i just wear a polo with a sweater and khakis or something?

wear a dress shirt and slacks.

you can throw a sweater on top if you want. then, if the doc says you are overdressed the first time you can shadow, just downgrade for the next time.

thanks, anything specific i should know? hes IM-pulmonary doc

thanks, anything specific i should know? hes IM-pulmonary doc
No sense "studying" anything beforehand. But, after the first day, you should look up any diseases or conditions that were brought up and maybe have some follow up questions for him next time. I know doing that worked out well for me when I shadowed a peds neurosurgeon for 3 months. I think the fact that this is a family friend is going to make it a much more enjoyable, relaxing time....have fun!

As far as clothing goes, look professional. Wear slacks/nice khakis with a dress shirt (bring a tie just in case) or a skirt/dress pants and blouse. You don't need to wear a suit. In general it is better to be over dressed than under dressed.

After the first day, ask the doc what you should be wearing.

Yea I wouldn't study ahead of time- when I did hematology/oncology the physicians were great about telling me about the conditions we would see before we went into the rooms- some going as far as sitting down and going through the genetics of it! I would suggest bringing a book to read if you have downtime or asking the physician if you can read their text/journals.

so i have shadowed him for about a total of 5-6 hours now and its been pretty cool. i get to round on patients with him so he explains everything to me so i am pretty grateful. i am probably going to shadow him for another 5-8 hours. would you recommend more? also, should i be asking for a LOR now? i dont want to seem like an idiot since i am only a sophomore and probably wont be applying until senior year?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks, but if i ask for a LOR, isnt it wierd that i wont be applying until the end of my senior year, and right now im a sophomore?

thanks, but if i ask for a LOR, isnt it wierd that i wont be applying until the end of my senior year, and right now im a sophomore?
I'm in the same exact boat. I will start shadowing middle of next week, but when would be the best time to get a LOR? I'm a sophomore as well.

Don't get LORs from docs you shadow. You don't need them for allo schools (just a couple require these kinds of letters - Univ of Utah, I think, and one or two others).

DO is a different story, but this is the allo forum...

- Shirt and Tie.
- Duration: As long as both the doctor and you are willing.

Make sure to study up on some basic terms in the field you are shadowing in before going. This was a HUGE help for me when shadowing a Dermatologist as I understood everything he was saying and what he was looking for.

Don't get LORs from docs you shadow. You don't need them for allo schools (just a couple require these kinds of letters - Univ of Utah, I think, and one or two others).

DO is a different story, but this is the allo forum...
I have to disagree. Better to get a letter of recommendation, period, then to live with the regret of not having one if you do consider applying DO. Better safe than sorry.

And it makes no difference if you're a sophomore or senior. Just don't ask for one on the first day :laugh:.

As far as attire - khakis/dress pants and button up shirt. Go from there and see what they say as far as how "overly dressed" you may be.

- Shirt and Tie.
- Duration: As long as both the doctor and you are willing.

Make sure to study up on some basic terms in the field you are shadowing in before going. This was a HUGE help for me when shadowing a Dermatologist as I understood everything he was saying and what he was looking for.
If you can. Don't go scrounging for ties when you can just settle on a button up shirt. Picking/buying ties is just an endless money-pit that can be damaging to your income.:laugh::smuggrin:

I have to disagree. Better to get a letter of recommendation, period, then to live with the regret of not having one if you do consider applying DO. Better safe than sorry.

And it makes no difference if you're a sophomore or senior. Just don't ask for one on the first day :laugh:.

As far as attire - khakis/dress pants and button up shirt. Go from there and see what they say as far as how "overly dressed" you may be.

Ask LizzyM about this topic. She says, and I agree, that LORs from docs you shadow are worthless.

This is an allo forum, so my answer was tailored to that (and I noted it).

I can't imagine asking some doc I shadowed for 5 to 15 hours to write me a freaking LOR for med school...what in the world could he/she say in the letter that would mean anything to a med school.

Look at the LOR reqs for allo schools - literally only a couple ask for these kinds of LORs...

Ask LizzyM about this topic. She says, and I agree, that LORs from docs you shadow are worthless.

I can't imagine asking some doc I shadowed for 5 to 15 hours to write me a freaking LOR for med school...what in the world could he/she say in the letter that would mean anything to a med school.

Look at the LOR reqs for allo schools - literally only a couple ask for these kinds of LORs...
No, I agree that for pre-allo are worthless and that my answer is pretty much worthless in this forum. But I'm just pointing it out the fact that pre-osteopathic schools require them, in case they care....:laugh:

and I also agree about the last part, which is why I honestly do NOT understand what DO schools are thinking when they ask for this.

If you can. Don't go scrounging for ties when you can just settle on a button up shirt. Picking/buying ties is just an endless money-pit that can be damaging to your income.:laugh::smuggrin:

Luckily (or unluckily? haha) my high school required a shirt and tie so I have TONS lying around. They aren't too expensive if you go to a place like Marshall's or something.

But can you at least get some type of letter that will say that you have done shadowing? I mean, like a signature or something somewhere? Cause sure, I can write this on my resume, but how would I prove it?

But can you at least get some type of letter that will say that you have done shadowing? I mean, like a signature or something somewhere? Cause sure, I can write this on my resume, but how would I prove it?

Your response to questions on interview day will be all the proof we need.

If you shadow one person you can list their name, contact information and the number of hours per week that you shadowed: e.g. if you shadowed during Dec/Jan 2008-2009 and did a total of 16 hours it works out to 2 hrs/wk over the 2 mos shown on your application. You could leave the hours blank and describe in the free text section that you did 2-half days (10 hours) in the clinic and one morning (6 hours) in the OR or ICU or whatever.

OP,
I wouldn't ask for an LOR from someone you have worked with for only 20 hours or so. What is he actually going to say that would help your application? He hasn't worked with you enough to have formed an opinion.

If you want an LOR you need to spend a lot more time with this doc...like 100 hours or something. It's probably very time consuming for him to do this, so you probably don't want to do that and wear out your welcome.

I'd suggest asking him to recommend other doc(s) you can shadow, and perhaps ask him if he knows of any nearby hospitals that have a good volunteer program. A good volunteer program where you could work for say a whole summer or whole semester could help you get a good LOR and good experience. Don't worry about the LOR's too much now since you are only a sophomore.