Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ateria

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering how you approached doctors for shadowing experience. I don't have a family dentist and my biggest interaction with a dentist was an oral surgeon who pulled out my molar teeth. Did you just go up to a random dental office and go "Teach me!" or is there a more full proof way of doing this. I would prefer to have a dentist who can write a recommendation, I don't need another letter to write because he/she is lazy.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I was wondering how you approached doctors for shadowing experience. I don't have a family dentist and my biggest interaction with a dentist was an oral surgeon who pulled out my molar teeth. Did you just go up to a random dental office and go "Teach me!" or is there a more full proof way of doing this. I would prefer to have a dentist who can write a recommendation, I don't need another letter to write because he/she is lazy. Thanks!
It is not too late to find one. Who knows, one might even come handy.

Reactions: 1 user
For my oral surgeon internship, I literally just walked into the office and asked, but I knew them from a while back. My biggest recommendation would be to show up with your resume and be well-dressed. There's a chance they'll say okay without a resume (most dentists are nice!) but it's better to be safe than sorry!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above most dentist are nice, it's the receptionist that you have to impress.
Check for open dental clinics first, volunteering dentist are probably more open to let you watch them.
If not then visit every nearby dentist, ask to speak to them first, most likely they'll be busy so just drop off a resume :)
It may be best to go back to your oral surgeon and ask to follow them or ask if they know another dentist! Good luck and don't get discouraged :)

I walked in and asked.
It's worked twice. Hasn't worked a few more times though..
Also you can check your school if they have any contacts!

I would also recommend not shadowing just to get a letter (it's always nice!) I asked the one I had the best connection to and I think that sometimes it can be hit or miss who you really connect with and feel comfortable asking.

I'm active with the pre dental club at the local university here, but i have students come in all the time to ask about shadowing.
with that said, try free clinics first as most of the docs there are volunteers and pretty likable. i get students from my local free clinic when i volunteer and if i like them, will ask if they are interested in shadowing MY office for a more "real life" feel about dentistry.

but like what someone else said ... be polite, dress nice, and just walk in and ask. don't plan on shadowing that day but "schedule" a day to come in and get to know their team.