Shady Pre Health Advisor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pookey123

Pookey
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Found out the pre health advisor at my school actually brags about the amount of complaints she gets from students. Essentially she only writes recommendations for students who work for her (she used to have a full time assistant but fired her and has been using student peer mentors to do everything). She enlisted students to petition for more funding for her office, but failed to convince the dean of science, the only person she is beholden to. She wanted to increase her own compensation, but there is a fixed budget for her office. Therefore: fire everyone else so she can make more. Many schools don't even have pre health advisors, but she has used her gatekeeper role for nefarious purposes. She has discouraged many qualified students from applying to a broad array of programs. People often complain about her as they had to apply without recommendations. She also encourages all students (regardless of their academic background) to take at least 5 years to complete their studies. This places a significant burden on the school which is trying to increase 4-year grad rates, (especially the biology department which is impacted and doesn't have enough classes for everyone).

Ex. She let one of her student workers apply to over 35+ dental schools (bad advising and waste of money when he had to turn down excess interviews) and encouraged another student who had completed six years of undergrad to pursue a post-bac program. He did, completed it with bad grades (same as in undergrad) and came back to our undergrad institution to take even more classes. She didn't prevent him from making basic mistakes like signing up for too many classes at once (don't take 7 classes with labs because the labs will make it like 10 classes).

I highly suggest you seek advice from the actual professional schools that you want to attend. Their criteria should be your primary source of information. Advisors, other students, and other sdn people, sometimes give bad advice whether they intend to or not. You want direct info from the source, not second hand, or tertiary info.

Members don't see this ad.

I never understood the reason why students went to health advisors instead of actual professors. I guess my school was set up different where the pre health advisor is just some lady with a masters in her own office that doesn't teach.

Set up is pretty much the same as yours. I think the difference is my school is an impacted public school and a lot of professors (especially science) get tired of pre-health students who aren't interested in the subject they're teaching. They don't have time to talk about things unrelated to class.

Also, this advisor runs all of the pre-health student orgs and advises all of them. She requires the clubs to make people come into her office, and sign in and give out their personal info (using sign-in traffic to try to argue for more money). She scares people into thinking they have to go through this formal "committee" process which is really her and one other random professor (basically the prof knows nothing about anything pre-health) so she decides everything. So she captures your personal info (which is a lot, your transcripts often have your social on them and application materials are sensitive materials too; if Equifax can't protect data I don't think anyone can) and wastes time with the whole process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if I even had a pre-health advisor. I've heard of advisors telling students to give up on __ school. I definitely don't have time to listen to THAT advice. My school's career center had a decent website that listed the prereqs, but that's all the advising I ever got. Sometimes I mooched off other schools' pre-health websites.

Just attended a personal statement and interview skills workshop held by my committee. They even provided lunch. Not all are bad, sorry that yours isn't so helpful :(

Reactions: 1 user