she failed the final... what now?!

1LinPA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi - I'm new to the forum and looking for advice. Just found out my partner failed her final (she's a 2nd year). This is highly unexpected as she generally does very well. Not only do I have no idea how to help/comfort her, I have no clue what exactly happens next. I'm assuming she will have an oportunity to retake the exam? But how will this effect her Step 1 and rotations?

How bad is this, exactly? Help!

Members don't see this ad.

Since some medical school do things differently...it's hard to say for sure. Generally, I'd say be supportive but don't try and "fix" the problem or keep telling her it "doesn't matter." She's probably really upset and just wants to be comforted.
As for how bad it is...depends on the school. However, for most schools- once you're in, they'll try and make sure that you graduate...so this likely isn't the "end of the road." She may just need to take a month or 2 to retake things or delay year 3. Good luck to you both. :luck:

Cuteasaurus said:
Since some medical school do things differently...it's hard to say for sure. Generally, I'd say be supportive but don't try and "fix" the problem or keep telling her it "doesn't matter." She's probably really upset and just wants to be comforted.
As for how bad it is...depends on the school. However, for most schools- once you're in, they'll try and make sure that you graduate...so this likely isn't the "end of the road." She may just need to take a month or 2 to retake things or delay year 3. Good luck to you both. :luck:

Thanks, 'Saurus. They're going to let her take it again next week, apparently. That's a relief. I know I can't "fix it," just wish there's something I could do. Hate seeing her like this, you know?

Members don't see this ad :)
1LinPA said:
Hi - I'm new to the forum and looking for advice. Just found out my partner failed her final (she's a 2nd year). This is highly unexpected as she generally does very well. Not only do I have no idea how to help/comfort her, I have no clue what exactly happens next. I'm assuming she will have an oportunity to retake the exam? But how will this effect her Step 1 and rotations?

How bad is this, exactly? Help!

partner? why don't you just call her your girlfriend? confused. Or are you like business partners or police squad partners?

Some people refer to their significant other as a "partner". In fact, I don't think I ever heard the term spouse or girl/boyfriend the entire time I was in Australia. Radio DJs and such kept announcing contests where you could "win a vacation for you and your partner". My spouse and I were there for our honeymoon and most of the couples we met also introduced their SO as a "partner". In the US, a "partner" is often used in same-sex couples, though it is increasingly being used in heterosexual couples.

1LinPA, just be there for her. Sometimes an ear is all she needs. Wish her luck from all of us SND'ers.

Spot on, GeneGoddess. She's more than my girlfriend and less than my spouse, at least legally. I'm not particularly fond of the term "partner," but it serves its purpose and there isn't one I find more appropriate at the moment.

Thanks for your advice and support!