Shoes contaminated by embalming fluid during gross anatomy dissection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

syntaxerror101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My shoes were unfortunately contaminated by embalming fluid during dissection today. I know the fluid contains formaldehyde so was wondering whether there is anything I can/should do to clean them?

Members don't see this ad.

My shoes were unfortunately contaminated by embalming fluid during dissection today. I know the fluid contains formaldehyde so was wondering whether there is anything I can/should do to clean them?
Your shoes will now be safely preserved for generations!

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I allocated a whole outfit for anatomy lab that I plan to throw out at the end.

Reactions: 7 users
Just wait till you accidentally wear your good shoes to your surgery rotation. Or better yet, your OB/Gyn rotation:laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
I allocated a whole outfit for anatomy lab that I plan to throw out at the end.

There are people who don't do this?

I bought some "Shaq" brand basketball shoes for Anatomy to throw out when I was done. I think they cost $8.99 at K-Mart.

Reactions: 3 users
Ouch... I got the smell of cadaver lab out of my scrubs, but it took multiple washes. If I'm not mistaken, I used OxiClean and Tide capsules. Also, be glad that stuff landed on your shoe. When I was in grad school, a guy accidentally perforated the intestine and "fluids" shot into his eye. That story still makes me shiver.

Reactions: 2 users
Ouch... I got the smell of cadaver lab out of my scrubs, but it took multiple washes. If I'm not mistaken, I used OxiClean and Tide capsules. Also, be glad that stuff landed on your shoe. When I was in grad school, a guy accidentally perforated the intestine and "fluids" shot into his eye. That story still makes me shiver.

I'll do you one better. When I was a medical student, one of my classmates in anatomy lab was talking while his partner was dissecting, and as he was talking the partner pulled on something, and a globule of cadaver fat flew and landed into the guy's mouth. We all stared as he stood there, frozen in horror, with the piece of fat dangling from his lip. It was one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen in my life.

Reactions: 8 users
I'll do you one better. When I was a medical student, one of my classmates in anatomy lab was talking while his partner was dissecting, and as he was talking the partner pulled on something, and a globule of cadaver fat flew and landed into the guy's mouth. We all stared as he stood there, frozen in horror, with the piece of fat dangling from his lip. It was one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen in my life.
What?!? Cadaver lab would be over after that lol.

"DPTinthemaking15, why are you leaving?"
"I've got a mouth to clean and the chemicals here aren't strong enough."

Reactions: 1 user
the real question is: can embalming fluid "contaminate"?

Your shoe is fine, in that it isn't going to give you cancer or some disease.

Your shoe is now considered 'gross' by a lot of people, and may smell...but that was true the minute you started wearing it into the cadaver lab routinely. So, since it didn't bother you before when the soles of your shoe were traipsing over floors coated with year upon year of cadaver grease/embalming fluid mix, nothing has likely changed. If, however, this bothers you, or you've realized that lab makes things smell (not sure how you didn't before), do what everyone else does and designate a pair of crappy shoes and socks for it. These ones are probably saveable if you clean them or if you got lucky and they don't smell from this. If you're going to toss them, don't...put them in your locker and wear them every lab session instead.

As long as it hasn't gotten on your bare skin, you should be fine. Give 'em a regular wash with soap and water.

Similar to OrthoTraumaMD's story, I got embalming fluid in my mouth on day 1 of anatomy lab and I was fine. Thankfully no chunks were involved, but it tasted bad.

Your shoes will be fine too probably without intervention but pop them in the washer* like others have said if it bothers you. The bottoms are no doubt getting embalming fluid on them every time you go into lab.

(*depending on shoe type)

We had a retired anatomist come in on day to show us structures inside the cranial cavity while we dissected the head of our cadaver. His hands were glossy from the grease of the dead bodies, and midway during his presentation to our small group, he nonchalantly took his glasses off with his gloved hands and proceeded to smear grease over all of his lenses as he 'cleaned' them. He put his glasses back on and continued with the presentation behind a veil of fat on his lenses.

Last edited: