Should I accept this leadership position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

optimisticallypassingorgo

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been offered a leadership position in a club at my school as human rights researcher. It is something I am interested in, but I am studying for the MCAT, taking classes, and volunteering. Is this something that would help with my app?

Thanks in advance.
 
Straight to it, if you can afford to spare the time then do it. You're opportunity cost is mainly going to be MCAT study time I assume, maybe 20 hours over the course of a semester? Or take it and resign the position if you can't manage it properly with all your other ****.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think being a TA would be looked at more favorably because of the common understanding of what that title entails. Other leadership positions can be easily inflated to sound like more than they really are, and adcoms aren't idiots. Not saying this is one of those, I'm just saying I'd keep the TA position.
 
The TA position is as an Arabic TA for a private weekend school. I have 300+ hours with them so far. Since its not a typical TA (like for a stem class) I'm worried it won't be looked upon favorably.