Should I add notes to Anki cards or minimize the amount of information per card?

D

deleted895369

Hey everyone,

I know that generally Anki cards are supposed to be short and to-the-point to maximize the quality of learning. However, what do you do when there is a relevant piece of information/application/clinical connection related to that answer but isn't the actual answer? Should this information be incorporated into a "notes" field on the back of the card or should you leave this miscellaneous information in your lecture notes? If I'm not directly testing myself on the information in the notes field, will I remember it sufficiently simply by reading the card multiple times?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I add the summarized version of the info on the "notes" field and personally add the information in my lecture notes/general notes about that specific topic.

But it really depends on the type of information associated with the card. For example, if the card is about physiopathology, then adding information that can fill in your understanding of the pathologic processes going on, all the better for you.

I make my own cards when it comes to foundational concepts. So physiology, pathophysiology, etc. will be made by me. I like having cards that have the overarching theme made into basic cards; rather than what pre-made decks do. E.g., A --> B is one card. Then C ---> D is one card, etc. For memorization-heavy cards, I'll keep it simpler (if a pre-made deck doesn't have it already.)

My foundational concept cards will look like:

Front: "Explain the movement of Na, Cl, and K in the thick ascending loop of Henle. (Include receptors and flow of ions in answer.)"

Back: "The basolateral Na/K ATPase helps establish the concentration and electrochemical gradient within the endothelial cells of the TAL by exchanging 3 Na+ into the bloodstream for 2 K+ into the cell while using ATP.

The apical NKCC2 receptor moves 1 Na, 1 K, and 2 Cl from the apical side to the inside the cell.

The apical ROMK channel pushes K+ back into the lumen to be 'recycled' in the TAL"

The way I do it is controversial with a lot of people, seeing as how there's a lot more info than the standard card that keeps the question : answer ratio close to or at 1. But this really forces me to learn concepts. I honestly feel like it's more work in the front end of each block; however, it made me go from high C's/low B's to low-medium A's on tests.