Should I also take Step 2? Or just Level 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I take Step 2 if I want to go into FM?

• Yes

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters

studentdoc43

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year DO student who is interested in applying FM. I scored well on Step 1 and Level 1, and I am debating whether or not to take Step 2 in addition to Level 2. I was told by my advisor that I probably wouldn't need to take Step 2 because of my current scores, but will I be hurting myself in the long run if I just take Level 2? I'm just worried that there is a chance I could dip in my Step 2 score. Please help!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you know for sure it's FM and don't have your eyes on some competitive program, it'll be a waste of time to take step 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
for DO students who might something more competitive, should we also take STEP2 ?

for DO students who might something more competitive, should we also take STEP2 ?

Please ask residents/fellows in your field of choice. Step 2 may actually do you more harm than good. I would reach out to the residency forums.

Please ask residents/fellows in your field of choice. Step 2 may actually do you more harm than good. I would reach out to the residency forums.

A poor score, yes. But step 2 itself? It'll open up doors too.

Reactions: 2 users
So the majority of you have said that I don't need Step 2 if I'm looking to go into FM...does that change if I say that I currently go to med school in CA and want to stay in CA?

So the majority of you have said that I don't need Step 2 if I'm looking to go into FM...does that change if I say that I currently go to med school in CA and want to stay in CA?

Same advice.