Should I apply for 2013 or 2014? Feel like I might be rushing...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmBoy90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just turned 22 and I technically should have a Bachelor's by now. I'm at my current 4-year school that has a PA program, but I was debating between doing the PA program and applying to Pharmacy school.

I decided to go to Pharmacy school, but I figured since I've been in school for so long already, I might as well just get my Bachelor's in Biology first and then apply...however, the school I want to apply to, doesn't require a Bachelor's and I could technically apply now for Fall 2013. I haven't taken the PCATs though, but they said I can take it in January. I just don't know if I'll have enough time to study for it because I have a busy semester coming up.

These are my 2 options:

1) Apply now for 2013, and cram studying for the January PCAT into my crazy semester, and attend Pharmacy school in Fall 2013 without having a Bachelor's degree.

2) Finish this school year coming up, and take the PCAT in Summer or Fall 2013 when I'll actually have time to study for it. Apply to Pharmacy school for Fall 2014 semester, and I'll also be able to earn my Bachelor's in Biology in the meantime.

I guess my main concern is my age. If I go next year, I'll be 23 going into Pharmacy school and graduating at 27. If I wait a year more, I'll be 24 going into Pharmacy school and graduating at 28.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I just turned 22 and I technically should have a Bachelor's by now. I'm at my current 4-year school that has a PA program, but I was debating between doing the PA program and applying to Pharmacy school.

I decided to go to Pharmacy school, but I figured since I've been in school for so long already, I might as well just get my Bachelor's in Biology first and then apply...however, the school I want to apply to, doesn't require a Bachelor's and I could technically apply now for Fall 2013. I haven't taken the PCATs though, but they said I can take it in January. I just don't know if I'll have enough time to study for it because I have a busy semester coming up.

These are my 2 options:

1) Apply now for 2013, and cram studying for the January PCAT into my crazy semester, and attend Pharmacy school in Fall 2013 without having a Bachelor's degree.

2) Finish this school year coming up, and take the PCAT in Summer or Fall 2013 when I'll actually have time to study for it. Apply to Pharmacy school for Fall 2014 semester, and I'll also be able to earn my Bachelor's in Biology in the meantime.

I guess my main concern is my age. If I go next year, I'll be 23 going into Pharmacy school and graduating at 27. If I wait a year more, I'll be 24 going into Pharmacy school and graduating at 28.

A 1 year difference will not matter very much at all in the grand scheme of things. Ideally, if you can get in faster then the better. However, rushing in without a plan will only stress you out and you may not make it very far.

you should probably wait, unless you're super smart (don't be modest here) and think you can handle a full course load and studying for the PCAT. I am essentially in he same position as you, I should have graduated by now, and I was deciding between PA and Pharm, I plan on just making good grades this upcoming year as long as do volunteering and all those other EC stuff, then take my PCAT after the school year when I have time.

Members don't see this ad :)
you should probably wait, unless you're super smart (don't be modest here) and think you can handle a full course load and studying for the PCAT. I am essentially in he same position as you, I should have graduated by now, and I was deciding between PA and Pharm, I plan on just making good grades this upcoming year as long as do volunteering and all those other EC stuff, then take my PCAT after the school year when I have time.

I definitely don't consider myself 'super smart', and yeah, I don't think I'll be able to concentrate on studying for the PCAT during this semester. I think my best bet is to take it next July (or September) so I have some time after this school year ends to study for it...I just hate to think that I could technically get into Pharmacy school next year, instead of 2 years from now. I feel like I've been in school forever. :(

What about winter break? Does your school go straight through...?

If you feel like you can bring a strong application, I would say go ahead and apply to the school you have in mind this year. You lose very little in doing so. The only double-edge to it would be if you don't get in - then you'd need to figure out how to improve your application for that school for next cycle. If you don't get in during this cycle, you can apply more widely next cycle. If you think it will be too stressful & compromise your remaining classes or that you would bring a significantly stronger application by waiting, don't do it.

If you are considering applying to more than one school during this cycle, some items to consider: Many schools have already closed their application cycle prior to the January PCAT & do not accept scores from that late. You would especially be competing at a disadvantage applying late to a school with rolling admissions.

That being said, you may want to check your schools of choice for their policy on retaking the PCAT. Many places do not penalize you if you take it multiple times. If that is the case for your schools, you may still consider attempting the PCAT - assuming you feel prepared for a good performance - with the knowledge that you still have July as a second try and you'd still be early in the cycle for 2014.

You can also start working on your personal statement & identifying your recommendation writers early to get a jump on things for next cycle.