Should I apply late (Aug/Sep) to raise my GPA from a 2.91 to a 3.0?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrome5000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Although my odds of getting into dental school are slim, I will be applying regardless this cycle since my application does have several strong points to it (Volunteering/Leadership/Shadowing/LORs). After entering all my grades into an Excel spreadsheet, I calculated my overall GPA (following AADSAS/ADEA guidelines) to be a 2.91 which is admittedly low. Since I graduated from college last month, I only have this summer left to raise my GPA. I calculated that, if I take 5 basic courses (Speech/Intro to Business) at a community college for both summer sessions and gain 5 A's in them, my overall GPA can be raised to a 3.01. The only major downside to doing that would be that I would have to apply later in the cycle, since the Summer II Session ends on August 11th and it would probably take a few weeks for AADSAS to receive my grades. I recognize that you all aren't advisors... but what are your thoughts on what I should do? Should I apply early (June/July) with a 2.91 overall gpa or apply later in the summer (late August/early September) with a 3.01? I know my odds are slim either way, but I heard a rumor a while back that some dental schools have a 3.0 GPA cutoff. I appreciate your feedback. If you respond, please explain your rationale. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It won't matter because schools won't even see those grades until the academic update in November. If you really want to apply, which I would advise against right now, you might as well do it in June. A post-bac or SMP would really work in your favor, and probably help you save money in the long run.

Members don't see this ad :)
If money isn't an issue, then take a shot at it. I've applied for 3 cycles with a postbacc Masters of a near 4.0 GPA and a 19AA and still can't get into dental. I've seen people with less get in so why can't you? Have a good statement, contact the schools, etc etc. What was your DAT?

I don't know the specifics of your volunteering, leadership, shadowing, and LoR's, but from my experience, almost everyone thinks those aspects of their application are above average. They might not help you as much as you think. Also, taking basic courses at the end of your college career, even if you do get all As, probably won't impress anyone. Taking hard sciences and getting A's would.
Like others have said, without a DAT, it's hard to determine your chances, but assuming your DAT is less than like a 24, your chances are slim. If I were you, I would wait to submit until you get your new grades back in late August and bump up your GPA. Some schools might write you off immediately with <3.0.

Last edited:
I hate to tell you this, but unless you are a URM or come from a disadvantaged background, you're not in a good place to apply at all this cycle. You should probably be looking at a post-bac program so that you can get that GPA up and show your ability to take hard sciences. You left out a lot of information as mentioned above so it's hard to know where you stand. GPA is only a small part of an application.