Should I apply next cycle? or should I wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AT89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for helping and answering questions. It's an excellent moral support. A little background, I am a post-bac student meaning that I have a BA in psychology. However, I am enrolled as a "degree seeker" for financial aid purposes. Therefore, I don't know if I should apply next cycle.
I graduated in 2014... I began college in 2010. Then ( Spring 2015 ) I started to take pre-requisites. That's what I have... I guess I could fit studying for the DAT next semester, I mean I am going to study for the DAT, but I am not sure if I should apply because what if schools want me to finish the BA in Biology that I am currently in (I have no idea how I am going to pay for that, I think I won't have any loans left by then). I wanted to apply next spring 2017.

My GPA is a 3.7 right now, no sure about my science GPA, maybe 3.6. I need at least 20 credit hours to finish the BA in Biology, beyond all of what I put in bellow... I'll have a little left over money for this year, I guess I could reapply as a non-degree seeker for the fall...

I am just freaking out, and I feel I am running out of time for some reason. I'll be 28 next year. I am not in the mood to take classes that I don't need. I see my classmates struggling to just pass. Yes, I am taking less credit hours and my grades show it, I guess Dental Schools won't think of my GPA as a big deal cause I've been part time. However, for my undergraduate I had 3 jobs (1 of them a tutoring job on campus + research for 1 year in a Psychology lab) and I used to get 4.00 GPA. I am also not working. I did tutoring for 1 semester, FAll 2015... Then stopped, I needed time to study. I have 40 hr of shadowing too. I know bad, super bad.

Spring 2015
BIO1 A
Intro to Chem A (I needed to be able to take CHEM1)

Fall2015
BIO2+LAB A
CHEM1 B
CHEMLAB1 A
COLLEGE ALGEBRA (A) (I needed it to be able to take Element of Calculus)

SPRING 2016
CELL BIO A
CHEM2 A
PHYSIC I W
CORE ANATOMY W

FALL (CURRENTLY, SO GRADES ARE PRO)
ORGO 1 ( PROB... B)
ORGO 1 LAB (PROB A)
MICROBIOLOGY A (PROB A)
ELEMENT OF CALCULUS (PROB A)

SPRING
ORGO 2
ORGO LAB 2
PHYSIOLOGY

FALL
PHYSICS1
PHYSICS LAB
BIOCHEM1

Spring
Physics 2
Physics Lab

Members don't see this ad.

Why not apply next cycle? (I assume you're talking about June 2017?) go talk to an advisor and see that you can graduate by Spring 2018 & you should be fine to matriculate into dental school Fall 2018. They review everyone's situation differently, just because you feel yours is not ideal doesn't mean you shouldn't try. I understand the financial struggles, I suggest you getting your taxes together, a financial aid report from you University and applying for FAP legit on June 1. I ended up receiving it & it helped a ton! Not only did I receive the $500 voucher for AADSAS but most schools will also waive your supplemental with proof of FAP. You can take your DAT by July/August 2017 if need be and still be fine for applying next cycle. I feel your pain, I just turned 28 in October & no interviews yet this cycle. I am also getting into that weird feeling of running out of time but I stop myself and focus on how far I've come & have faith I will get to where I'm going. If you have any other questions just PM me. :joyful:

Why not apply next cycle? (I assume you're talking about June 2017?) go talk to an advisor and see that you can graduate by Spring 2018 & you should be fine to matriculate into dental school Fall 2018. They review everyone's situation differently, just because you feel yours is not ideal doesn't mean you shouldn't try. I understand the financial struggles, I suggest you getting your taxes together, a financial aid report from you University and applying for FAP legit on June 1. I ended up receiving it & it helped a ton! Not only did I receive the $500 voucher for AADSAS but most schools will also waive your supplemental with proof of FAP. You can take your DAT by July/August 2017 if need be and still be fine for applying next cycle. I feel your pain, I just turned 28 in October & no interviews yet this cycle. I am also getting into that weird feeling of running out of time but I stop myself and focus on how far I've come & have faith I will get to where I'm going. If you have any other questions just PM me. :joyful:

OK this is where I am supper confused. My advisor tells me, if I want to apply June 2017.... I MUST have my DAT before JUNE 2017.... Does you mean that I CAN apply in JUNE, and take my DAT on August, how does that works?????? If I can study all Spring+Summer, I am sure I can get an ok score.
OMG thanks for letting me know about the FAP. I had no idea...

Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
OK this is where I am supper confused. My advisor tells me, if I want to apply June 2017.... I MUST have my DAT before JUNE 2017.... Does it mean that I CAN apply in JUNE, and take my DAT on August, how does that works?????? If I can study all Spring+Summer, I am sure I can get an ok score.

Thanks!!!!

Of course you can take your DAT after June and shoot for early August for latest test date. I got my FAP and completed my app by July lol, but I'm retaking my DAT Sunday. My biggest advice to you is study sooo hard for that summer DAT so you never have to retake lol. If your advisor is doing your committee letter then tell them your concerns & request they just simply wait on your DAT scores & upload your committee letter within a week of that & you should be fine.

Of course you can take your DAT after June and shoot for early August for latest test date. I got my FAP and completed my app by July lol, but I'm retaking my DAT Sunday. My biggest advice to you is study sooo hard for that summer DAT so you never have to retake lol. If your advisor is doing your committee letter then tell them your concerns & request they just simply wait on your DAT scores & upload your committee letter within a week of that & you should be fine.

OK Thanks, I'll do that. I hope I get the FAP. I swear I think I've been over stressing for nothing then. I have time to study all over spring+summer. I guess I cannot take physics next summer as I thought, but I still have time to take it. I hope you get in. :) Good Luck to you!!!! Thanks for helping.

OK this is where I am supper confused. My advisor tells me, if I want to apply June 2017.... I MUST have my DAT before JUNE 2017.... Does you mean that I CAN apply in JUNE, and take my DAT on August, how does that works?????? If I can study all Spring+Summer, I am sure I can get an ok score.

Thanks!!!!

Oh god the FAP was a godsend lol.. it helps A LOT! You're welcome!! Also, I suggest you sign up for ASDA, it's $50(ish) for the year but they send you some useful booklets for applying to dental schools, offer awesome webinars, keep you in the loop AND you can get discounts on study prep like chads, crack dat, bootcamp. btw, I applied in June, app was completed July, took my DAT August 1. But my scores were crappy & that's why I'm retaking Sunday. It's a long shot but schools have my application on hold pending my new scores!

OK Thanks, I'll do that. I hope I get the FAP. I swear I think I've been over stressing for nothing then. I have time to study all over spring+summer. I guess I cannot take physics next summer as I thought, but I still have time to take it. I hope you get in. :) Good Luck to you!!!! Thanks for helping.
No prob! I took biochemistry during the summer while applying and taking DAT. Do whatever you feel comfortable with! I was also stressing about everything but I'm proof things do work out :) THANK YOU! If you have any more questions or anxiety just PM me whenever hehe

Thanks!!!!

I would take your DAT in June or beginning of July though, August might put you at a disadvantage.

I would take your DAT in June or beginning of July though, August might put you at a disadvantage.

I disagree everyone I know who is in dental school now took theirs in Aug.

I'm not saying you can't take your DAT in August, but I am saying you're more likely to get more interviews if you take it earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yeah maybe, it's a rolling cycle. I say take it when you're ready & do well, that's most important :)

Thank you guys!!! I am going to begin studying in January.