MD Should I Apply to Match This Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmirMullick3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to know if you believe I should try to match this year. My credentials are below. I live in New York and I am an American citizen.

STEP 1 -- 268
CK -- 244
CS -- Taking Soon
School -- All Saint's University, Dominica
Applying for -- IM, FM, or Surgery

I have done all my core rotations -
Internal medicine outpatient in NY
Pediatrics outpatient in NY
Psychiatry inpatient in GA
OB/Gyn inpatient in GA
Surgery inpatient in GA
Family medicine outpatient in GA

All my rotations went well and each doctor was more than satisfied with me. I have good recommendations from most of them as well. Please let me know if applying this year would be a good idea.

I am mainly concerned because I come from a school that is not very reputable.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am looking to know if you believe I should try to match this year. My credentials are below. I live in New York and I am an American citizen.

STEP 1 -- 268
CK -- 244
CS -- Taking Soon

OB/Gyn inpatient in GA
Surgery inpatient in GA

All my rotations went well and each doctor was more than satisfied with me. I have good recommendations from most of them as well. Please let me know if applying this year would be a good idea.

What specialty do you want to apply to? If it's IM, there's a WAMC thread.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should apply this year assuming you can get your ECFMG in time.

You need to decide which specialty is your main focus. You can't take a shotgun approach And just apply blindly.

If you're gonna submit this year, you need to start working on it ASAP.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

STEP 1 -- 268
CK -- 244
CS -- Taking Soon
Applying for -- IM, FM, or Surgery

OB/Gyn inpatient in GA
Surgery inpatient in GA

So not much info here, but on the flip side Caribbean schools won't have much PDs will look at outside of Board Exams (I presume). Yours look solid for an non-AMG. I echo others on here with the shot-gunning. It's not really that IM and Surgery will find out...you can write separate Personal Statements, not apply to both programs at a given school, etc. but it just comes down to time. I don't think you'll have enough days/energy to hit both fields. I say pick one (I bet it's surgery). Apply to all the surgery programs your eligible for and give it a go. Yes, it's hard but having just come off surgery there are plenty of non-US grads in residencies and it's not as much of a unicorn as a I thought.

What happened on CK? You basically went from ~99th to ~50th percentile. That's quite a feat.

What happened on CK? You basically went from ~99th to ~50th percentile. That's quite a feat.

My guess is that it has to do with amount of dedicated study time given. Caribbean schools are notorious for giving ungodly amounts of step 1 dedicated time.