Should I apply with a D+ in Orgo I ?? (PLEASE HELP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TiredStudent101

Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I need some advice. I messed up during my undergraduate courses and received a D+ in Orgo 1,2 and Biochem.

I did a DIY post bacc and retook biochem and Orgo 2 (Both As), however because of the pandemic the org 1 class I planned to take was dropped. My GPA shows an upward trend (from 2.5-3.01) and also took alternate classes (Microbio) during my DIY post bacc.. With this in mind, should I apply with the D+ in Orgo I?

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Retake Orgo I. I believe for most schools the prerequisites need to be a C or above.

You must have C or above in the pre reqs. That means you need to re-take that class.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will have to retake it. A D does not qualify as passing for pre-req stance

Reactions: 1 user
Yup, retake. A lot, if not all DO schools, require that the pre-reqs need to be C or better. Check out the Admissions requirements for each school. While you have an increasing GPA trend, the D will likely have you screened out. If you aren't screened out, the Adcom reading your app (who are familiar with their own admissions policies) will see the D as a red flag (not only for grades, but your inability to follow instructions). You obviously figured out what went wrong the first time that led to poor grades, so retake Orgo I, crush it and apply next round.

Good luck!

Hey everyone! So I need some advice. I messed up during my undergraduate courses and received a D+ in Orgo 1,2 and Biochem.

I did a DIY post bacc and retook biochem and Orgo 2 (Both As), however because of the pandemic the org 1 class I planned to take was dropped. My GPA shows an upward trend (from 2.5-3.01) and also took alternate classes (Microbio) during my DIY post bacc.. With this in mind, should I apply with the D+ in Orgo I?

Please help!
You will need to double check each school you're applying to and see if they have minimum grade requirements in their pre-reqs.

And minimums do mean minimums.

I don't know why anyone wouldn't retake a D+. A D+ takes a **** on your GPA, so def think about retaking it and most schools have a C grade minimum in the pre-reqs.

Just a question -- I was under the impression that pre-reqs weren't checked for completion until after acceptance. So technically couldn't he apply this summer and retake Orgo I this fall, updating schools that are interested in him once the transcript comes out? Or does <C in a pre-req actually cause you to be screened out in the first place?

Just a question -- I was under the impression that pre-reqs weren't checked for completion until after acceptance. So technically couldn't he apply this summer and retake Orgo I this fall, updating schools that are interested in him once the transcript comes out? Or does <C in a pre-req actually cause you to be screened out in the first place?
I actually looked into this. It depends on the schools but from what I saw, a lot of the schools have a C grade minimum on pre-reqs. So I'm guessing even if you didn't complete all of the pre-reqs when applying, you still would need a C grade minimum on those pre-reqs for these schools.

Reactions: 2 users
You will need to double check each school you're applying to and see if they have minimum grade requirements in their pre-reqs.

And minimums do mean minimums.
Echoing for emphasis - retake

Thank you all for your feedback, I have another question - I found Organic Chemistry I ( Lecture and Lab) being offered at UNE (University of New England) via online class. I was wondering if this would be an acceptable way to retake the course? I would be able to finish the lecture and lab BEFORE I submit my application.

Thank you all for your feedback, I have another question - I found Organic Chemistry I ( Lecture and Lab) being offered at UNE (University of New England) via online class. I was wondering if this would be an acceptable way to retake the course? I would be able to finish the lecture and lab BEFORE I submit my application.
I think its doable online. Just note, some schools will notice if you take a difficult course over the summer, at a CC, or online. They wont view it as a positive. And I said some schools, not all. Face it. Schools and the govt will have a lot of money invested in you as a med student, along with what you pay in tuition. They want students who will be successful and not drop out. If one drops out, it's almost impossible to replace that student with a transfer. Normally i might not advise someone to do what you are doing, but since it's a retake, I think adcoms will understand. So go ahead and take it online.