Quantcast

Should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental deezle

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hello All, I don't know If I should apply to Dental School or not, I will give you the complete run down of my College experience and tell me what my chances are please, I started my freshman year at a community college, not knowing what I should do, and unmotivated, I failed math, and ended with like a 2.46 GPA, Then I moved to a university called Wayne State University, which is exceptionally accelerated and said to be very difficult. I ended up living on campus and my first semester their and was kinda lost, I completely bombed my first semester, except for Organic chemistry which I got a solid B in, the next semester I decided to stop messing around and take school seriously, I got a 3.7 that semester with a B+ in orgo 2, since then my gpa has been 3.4 + including only A's and B's on my science classes, my only c+ was analytical chemistry which is considered a very hard class at this school. I took my Dat and Scored a 21 AA... my overall is about a 3.1 and my sgpa is about a 3.3-3.4.

As for my extracurricular actives, I am president of an organization that fundraises money and helps low income and disabled homeowners in the city of Detroit by renovating their home, and assembling appliances needed to live. I have helped 8 Families with my organization. I am doing research at my university for Alzheimer's disease and i have shadowed a dentist all of last summer, he was actually a dental school professor at the school I wish to attend and wrote me an amazing letter of recommendation.

If you took the time to read this all I greatly appreciate it, Please let me know what you think because I might not apply this year and just boost my GPA a little bit. Thank you.

J777

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think you stand a fine chance of getting accepted somewhere (maybe not your top choice). You have an okay sGPA with upward trend, pretty solid DAT, great ECs and what sounds like a great letter. As many people on here advise, apply early and broadly and you will likely score some interviews.

bpoore19

Reaction score
Your academic average is above the average for a number of schools, so as long as none of your sections are below a 17, I think you should apply early and apply broadly. Your extracurricular activities sound stellar and provide an awesome outlet for you to discuss on your personal statement and in your interviews.

I cringe every time I see "analyte" or "EDTA." Analytical chemistry was atrocious! Don't feel bad, you are not alone!