Should I ask for LOR from online professor?

Started by begoood95
Tags Tags
lor
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

begoood95

The Friendly Gunner™
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm thinking of asking a professor from one of my online courses (take at my university) to write a LOR for me. At first, sure, this seems like a bad idea. I mean, how well can an online professor evaluate me? But here are two things to consider:
  • It's from a highly relevant non-science course (sociology of health and illness).
  • I wrote ~40 pages for this one class, in the form of online discussions with other students and responding to prompts, plus two medically-related research papers, so she may at least know me enough for an evaluation.
  • We've never met in-person, but I have had extended conversations with her over email about various topics throughout the course.
Yea or nay?
 
I'm thinking of asking a professor from one of my online courses (take at my university) to write a LOR for me. At first, sure, this seems like a bad idea. I mean, how well can an online professor evaluate me? But here are two things to consider:
  • It's from a highly relevant non-science course (sociology of health and illness).
  • I wrote ~40 pages for this one class, in the form of online discussions with other students and responding to prompts, plus two medically-related research papers, so she may at least know me enough for an evaluation.
  • We've never met in-person, but I have had extended conversations with her over email about various topics throughout the course.
Yea or nay?
Nay.