Should I ask my PI for more pay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FredAstaire

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi -

This summer I got an institutional summer research grant to work at a lab. Basically, the faculty gives me 3,000$ and the PI is suppose to give me AT LEAST 1,000$ for a total of 4,000$ stipend over the summer to work on a project.

My PI gave me the minimum 1,000$, while some other PIs, gave as high as 3,000$ to match the faculty grant. Furthermore, he expects me to work fulltime from 8:30-4:30, while most other professor realizes this is a stipend and could careless about the exact hours of the student as long as he/she works on her project.

My PI's expectation of full-time hours in the lab + minimum stipend = 6$/hr - far below the national minimum wage!

So, should I approach my PI and ask for higher pay - or is this something that will ruin my future LOR? I only started recently, and do not know his personality - he is the uber-busy type that rarely gets seen in the lab. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

how many weeks is this? figure out the $/hr

Members don't see this ad :)
You are lucky to be getting anything. Many people are volunteering their time in labs.

If you are in financial need and could show this as being your reason to the PI, I think it would be reasonable to approach him/her. Don't go about complaining about hours and how others get more money, though. That's the exact way to piss someone off.

be happy that you even have a research position in the first place. there are many underprivileged, starving, and homeless premeds out there.

You are lucky to be getting anything. Many people are volunteering their time in labs.

I've never gotten paid for research, and I devote 10-20 hours a week at research when in school. There are days when we volunteer 15 hours alone on Saturdays due to research studies that our site conducts...BOOYA! FREE!

Be happy you are getting paid. If your PI is out of the lab anyways, take liberty to allot yourself 'breaks'

Be happy you are getting paid. If your PI is out of the lab anyways, take liberty to allot yourself 'breaks'

Ehh, while I get what your saying, I would plow through in hopes of getting a paper.

Paper + $4000 + summer job = success!

Hi -

This summer I got an institutional summer research grant to work at a lab. Basically, the faculty gives me 3,000$ and the PI is suppose to give me AT LEAST 1,000$ for a total of 4,000$ stipend over the summer to work on a project.

My PI gave me the minimum 1,000$, while some other PIs, gave as high as 3,000$ to match the faculty grant. Furthermore, he expects me to work fulltime from 8:30-4:30, while most other professor realizes this is a stipend and could careless about the exact hours of the student as long as he/she works on her project.

My PI's expectation of full-time hours in the lab + minimum stipend = 6$/hr - far below the national minimum wage!

So, should I approach my PI and ask for higher pay - or is this something that will ruin my future LOR? I only started recently, and do not know his personality - he is the uber-busy type that rarely gets seen in the lab. Thanks.

You are lucky to get such a stipend. I would not ask for anything more. He fulfilled his obligation, and he can always give you more depending on how good a job you do.

I've performed research over the summer both at my home institution and in the UK, and my opinion is that you should only ask for more money if there is a financial reason. You are getting a great opportunity to learn research skills, pad your resume, and get a LOR from what I assume is a faculty member. These are worth much more than the stipend.

In the past, if I had legitimate financial concerns regarding housing or food, I was always met with understanding and support from PI's. If this is your concern, than yes, approach the PI about the stipend and your budget. Otherwise, I would never ask for more money based on what a normal day job would pay.

Hi -

Shoulda picked a different PI.

My PI tried to pay me $4/hr for a 40-hour week. The school laughed at that and said I had to be paid minimum school wage. Now I only "officially" work 20-hours per week.

Be happy you have the stipend. :)

Doing research for basically minimum wage > working fast food for minimum wage

Consider yourself lucky and pretend that extra money you aren't making is no loss because the research looks good and you may get a publication.

My first job was sacking groceries for 5.15/hr, so be happy that minimum wage has gone up or else you would have nothing to complain about. The application perks make it worth more than just the pay.

Also, 8:30-4:30 doesn't sound so bad (~35 hrs/wk). Try 55 hrs/wk, which is what physicians do on average.

Welcome to the world of research, where you work for free!!!

My salary is definitely lower than most of my friends who are also in research. However, in a year, due to performance, my P.I. promoted me and raised my salary by 13%... so now I'm making closer to average of what I should be making.

BUT, my P.I. has been the most amazing and supportive boss ever, and that's more than what I can ever ask for.

...although, when she made the initial job offer, I did ask, and she said no at the time. :p But that's different. You are there for a summer job. You are there for the experience not the money. Worry about making the money later when you're paying back med school loans.