Should I bother getting certified?

Started by grecian
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

grecian

New Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm starting my pharmacy program this fall but was looking to work as a tech in the meantime. Should I bother getting certified??
 
I'm starting my pharmacy program this fall but was looking to work as a tech in the meantime. Should I bother getting certified??

If you're doing 2+4 and you're in the 2, then yes. If you are actually in the pharmacy program, then no. Although as I recall, some states have weird intern laws so you might not be an intern immediately like in my state. If such is the case, getting certified might increase your pay if you are working until you are able to become an intern. But all things being equal, no.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My state is one of those that you can't intern until after your 2nd year. I'm planning on getting certified before starting school this fall. I'm moving to a brand new area and hope that will help me in the job search :xf:
 
I'm starting my pharmacy program this fall but was looking to work as a tech in the meantime. Should I bother getting certified??

Does your school offers like an internship fair for students to interview with stores to work in the summer? TBH unless you have an in with a company or previous work experience as a tech, it's extremely hard to find a part-time/weekend tech position (I'm assuming you only want to work part-time during pharmacy school)