Should I bother with a postbacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrSamrtGuy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Listen, I'm motivated, and I'm a hard worker (didn't used to be but I am now). But at the end of the day I'm also a pragmatist. It's not worth the time and money if it's not realistic.

My fall semester freshman year of college, I bombed Gen Chem and Bio. Not after studying my ass off. I took AP Bio and Chem and for some stupid reason thought I could wing it-halfassed problem sets and labs, didn't go to lecture, didn't study for finals. And my laziness and arrogance bit me in the ass-got a D in both.

After that I bailed out of premed and set my sights elsewhere. Pulled my GPA out of the gutter to a respectable 3.4 by the end of college.

How much will the idiocy of my 18 year old self haunt me? By the time I apply to med school if I do a postbacc, those days will be over a decade past. If I did well in a postbacc how much will my college *******ery bring me down?

Members don't see this ad.

With a strong MCAT and upward trend, you will be fine. 3.4 isn't terrible if your MCAT is strong (95%). Ideally try to get that GPA above 3.5.

It won't hold you back if you have a good MCAT and solid ECs. I had a 37 (98th precentile) and a 3.43 with a strong upward trend and admissions committees did not care about my GPA, I ended up with a full scholarship. You wouldn't have to get quite that high of an MCAT to be competitive if the rest of your app was good.

Members don't see this ad :)
With a strong MCAT and upward trend, you will be fine. 3.4 isn't terrible if your MCAT is strong (95%). Ideally try to get that GPA above 3.5.

I should point out that I brought my GPA up by taking almost entirely non-science classes. But I suppose this is ok-they're just worried about the numbers it seems.

Thanks.

It won't hold you back if you have a good MCAT and solid ECs. I had a 37 (98th precentile) and a 3.43 with a strong upward trend and admissions committees did not care about my GPA, I ended up with a full scholarship. You wouldn't have to get quite that high of an MCAT to be competitive if the rest of your app was good.

Wow, that's awesome! I grew up in Miami not far from FIU. Actually have a friend from high school who goes there now.

I should point out that I brought my GPA up by taking almost entirely non-science classes. But I suppose this is ok-they're just worried about the numbers it seems.

Thanks.

Your sGPA matters too though, so if that is lacking you want to improve it.

Your sGPA matters too though, so if that is lacking you want to improve it.

Assuming you don't count the science courses for non-science majors I took to fulfill requirements, my science GPA is a fscking brutal 1.0 thanks to that one semester. 1.77 if you count Calc. At this point I'm wondering if this'll prevent me from even getting into a postbacc program. I know it was a big **** up and not indicative of my true abilities, but I don't know if anyone will see it that way.

Assuming you don't count the science courses for non-science majors I took to fulfill requirements, my science GPA is a fscking brutal 1.0 thanks to that one semester. 1.77 if you count Calc. At this point I'm wondering if this'll prevent me from even getting into a postbacc program. I know it was a big **** up and not indicative of my true abilities, but I don't know if anyone will see it that way.

It seems you have barely any science classes though; Calc does count and if one class can make it go from 1.0 to 1.77 you need way more science classes! Do the post-bacc and see how high you can get your sGPA; take all the pre-reqs (obv) and some upper level sciences - 30+ credits of a 4.0 can bring your sGPA up to 3.4.

It may be good to re-take those bad classes too so that you can be in even better shape for DO (via grade replacement).

If you can improve like this you will definitely have a shot.

P.S. I think science courses for non-science majors can count as well, but don't depend on them - your pre-reqs matter most.

It seems you have barely any science classes though; Calc does count and if one class can make it go from 1.0 to 1.77 you need way more science classes! Have you done all the pre-reqs already? If not then do the post-bacc and see how high you can get your sGPA. It may be good to re-take those bad classes too so that you can be in even better shape for DO (via grade replacement).

Definitely going to retake General Chemistry and Bio. Not doing so would reek of the arrogance I'm trying to say is behind me! Probably going to try to do so at a state school as cheap as possible. If I decide to do this I will take as many science classes as possible to get that up. Still thinking about it.

I wonder if any of you guys are familiar with getting into a postbacc program like CUNY Hunter with a couple of abysmal science grades on your record?

Definitely going to retake General Chemistry and Bio. Not doing so would reek of the arrogance I'm trying to say is behind me! Probably going to try to do so at a state school as cheap as possible. If I decide to do this I will take as many science classes as possible to get that up. Still thinking about it.

I wonder if any of you guys are familiar with getting into a postbacc program like CUNY Hunter with a couple of abysmal science grades on your record?

Do an informal one if you have to. Just establish a track record of doing well in science classes whereever you go. Math classes don't count for DO. Do several semesters of strong science work and you'll be in a favorable position.

Do an informal one if you have to. Just establish a track record of doing well in science classes whereever you go. Math classes don't count for DO. Do several semesters of strong science work and you'll be in a favorable position.

Got it. I'm torn between trying to establish myself more in my current career (law) to apply from a position of strength, and just moving on towards my postbacc