Should I bring mom to Buffalo interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmict56

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
So I was under the impression that it would hopefully be to my benefit to bring my mother with me to the interview as it would look good to the interviewees that one has good family relations etc. For those who went to Buffalo interview, did you notice anyone who brought a parent/(s), and if so did it honestly seem like a plus or a negative? Honestly, should I call and change plans telling them no guest afterall?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
So I was under the impression that it would hopefully be to my benefit to bring my mother with me to the interview as it would look good to the interviewees that one has good family relations etc. For those who went to Buffalo interview, did you notice anyone who brought a parent/(s), and if so did it honestly seem like a plus or a negative? Honestly, should I call and change plans telling them no guest afterall?

you being serious?

Buffalo does invite you to bring a family member. I wouldn't consider doing it myself, but at my interview, two men brought wives and one fellow brought his dad. My impression of Buffalo was that it did not reflect positively or negatively, but that it was just a courtesy that Buffalo extended. I wouldn't read too much into it; it's not a test. And I DEFINITELY would not do it at another school unless the family member was invited. The Buffalo staff were very kind and down-to-earth to the interviewees and their family members. So...do what you're most comfortable with.

Members don't see this ad :)
DON'T DO IT!!!!!! I know its exciting, but you have to consider the magnitude of a dental interview (or any interview) before bringing guests along.

id suggest you go alone.

id suggest you go alone.

It's a trick. You're supposed to bring and introduce them to your mistress. Esp. at the Loma Linda interviews!!!

common' you're in college... this guy got his dad to come with him to wipe his mouth and cut his meat for him at lunch...can you believe that?

There was this other guy who got his girlfriend to come along to flash the dean so he can get a better chance....can you believe that?

When I interviewed at Buffalo, several interviewers had parents/SO's with them. The admissions staff welcomed everyone with open arms and there was plenty of yummy food to go around. :)

go alone, period.

i guess i can almost kinda' maybe in a way but not much understand why someone might want to consider in a passing and fleeting moment bringing their mom to an interview, but i don't think i would do it. mom's are out of control when it comes to high pressure situations and their kid's future. the adcom is not going to change their opinion of you just b/c you did or did not bring your mom, but all the pre-dents around you sure will, and probably the current dental students that see you. save the money and buy a PSP and some games. then you won't get lonely and you won't run the potential of your mom embarassing you (which she will).

what benefit do u get?
u gonna bring momma for your 1st clinical experience?

mom's are out of control when it comes to high pressure situations and their kid's future. the adcom is not going to change their opinion of you just b/c you did or did not bring your mom

It's not like your mothers are going in with you while you interview. :p

I don't know about buffalo...however, different schools have different types of interviews. To one interview I brought my mom and it was fine....rule #1 i screened her questions...parents can get out of hand when it comes to those. My mom and I had a great time. She did not come to the actual interview however she was with me for lunch and the tour of the school.

Now at the other interview i did not bring my mother...they actually did not want anyone who was not an interviewee there. So they politely told any guests to leave and come back at the end of the day.

So its all up to you. You know your mother best.....do you really want her with you? Will you be yourself? Will she embarass you with crazy questions? But if she does come make sure she dresses for the interview day as well...jeans and a shirt are not appropriate.

When invited, it is appropriate. :)

I guess it is okay to bring her since the letter says so, but I personallly wont~

Bear with strap-on says do it so there you go! What more advice do you need! Of course (s)he wears his/her strap-on to Thanksgiving dinner with the family, AND to the interview.:)

Bringing your mom can't be any worse that some of the over-agressive wives who won't shut up that I've seen at interviews. Especially if mom is just there to go on the tour, see the presentation, eat lunch - it's just so she can have an idea of where you might be next year and it probably makes her feel good. 29DATyep summed it up nicely. For some applicants without signifcant others, parents do care very much about where you are going whether you want want them to or not.

Bringing your mom can't be any worse that some of the over-agressive wives who won't shut up that I've seen at interviews...

Amen to that. If you know what's good for you, you'll leave your freakin' wives at home where they belong. I've seen some couples where I couldn't figure out which one was interviewing. Especially when they start saying "we" are applying, "we" did well on the DAT, "we" did this.....

Hi,

I personally wouldn't (and did not) bring any family members to the actual interview day. It's not that I find my parents annoying, it's also that I think it's important to schmooze with the other interviewees. If the admissions people are analyzing any social interactions, it will be you with your potential future classmates, not you and your parents. And having a parent there would probably cramp my style - i.e. I'd feel the need to sorta babysit and talk with my mom/dad. Plus, you can learn a lot about other schools by talking to people who have already interviewed there.

However, if you're able to totally ignore your parents, then go for it. :)