Should I consider distance from home when selecting a podiatry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3rdMetatarsal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Put your personal preferences over your parents’. Your academic performance may be influenced a lot by your happiness and if you like DMU or AZPOD more than Temple and feel like they are better fits, go with your gut.

Personally, I don’t think I’ll be able to visit home on weekends, even if i had the money to do so. I’ll most likely be busy studying, exploring the city, or baking :D

Reactions: 6 users
How old are you?

Your parents will not be waking up and doing your job.
Your parents will not be studying for exams and then going to clinic the next day.
Your parents are not studying for boards or waking up at odd hours to make it to surgical rounds.
Your parents are not taking your summer and winter breaks.
Your parents are not going out on weekends to blow off some steam after exam weeks.
Your parents are not in clinic or the hospital seeing patients.
Your parents are not going to CASPR/CRIP interviews.
Your parents are not digging through pounds of fat to reach a muscle in anatomy.
Your parents are not figuring out where to do residency.

Does this help you make your decision?
You need to think long term.

If they have objections, kindly and respectfully put it into perspective for them.

In addition to the above, if you have never lived by yourself before- this is a great way to learn how to adult.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I visit home once a year during school at Christmas time and my parents come and visit once a year during one of my breaks.

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone I talked to at the schools and current residents said that the number one factor for you to consider when choosing a school is if you can see yourself thriving and doing very well at the school. My entire family lives between NYC and Philly, so NYCPM and Temple were my initial top choice schools so that I could stay close to family and make visits easier. However, when I visited those schools I just couldn't see myself being as successful as I could at Barry, DMU, or CSPM even without having family support nearby. I did have a honest conversation with my family about this, and they were ultimately very supportive of my decision to go to school a flight away instead of a drive away, just disappointed that the close schools weren't a better fit. For some people, having the support nearby might be a huge factor in their ability to succeed but not for everyone. Pod school is a very expensive four years, so you want to make sure you're not wasting your time and money. Go to the school that is going to be the best fit for you and help you get into the right residency, because that's what matters.

I'd personally let the interview decide on where you go. I wouldn't let distance from home determined your entire future career. I'm from Wisconsin and chose AZpod due to their great track record with academics/board pass rates/reputation along with the vibe I got during I twrviewing here. But you also have to be comfortable living that far away from home. Some people get home sick and you don't have time to be distracted by that. If you feel like your independent enough to live far away from home and you feel like a school is the right fit, the I say go for it.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd say take distance very seriously. But i'd also say go with your gut, distance is a big deal but thriving at a certain school because you love it and are excited about it is a MUCH MUCH bigger deal. Students in my class go home allllll the time and have time to enjoy their hobbies and have a good time.

If it's hard for you to make friends and you rely a lot on the people where you live, it would be very hard to thrive far away. But hey, bird’s gotta open it's wings and fly away eventually right

Last edited: