Should I Consider Going Dental Hygiene before Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Braden11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am about to enter senior year of my microbiology degree, and I am very worried that I will not be accepted into dental school. I have a 3.1 overall gpa with a 3.2 sgpa. I am currently studying for my DAT and am going to take it next month. My biggest fear is not being accepted into a dental program and struggling to find a job with a BS in micro. If I am not accepted, should I consider applying to a DH program since it will give me hands on experience? Also Im not to familiar with the prereqs for DH. Are they the same as pre-dental? I have heard many people talk about post-bac or a masters programs as well. Which option do you think is best?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hi
I am a dental hygienist and going to apply this cycle. My GPA is low as well just like your range. Just letting you know I am doing a lot post bac courses. It's good to go to dental hygiene program but it's easier to do post bac than enter hygiene program. However, hygiene is help for you a good clinical skill when you enter dental school. But once again, it's on your call. If you really get into dental school. I would rec to do post bac or master science degree because it's should be easier than dental hygiene program and do really good on your DAT. Good luck

No real point in delaying by doing a DH program. Just do a masters or post-bac since your issue is your below average GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you want to be a dentist or a dental hygienist?

I don't think you should do a dental hygiene program in lieu of a post-bac or master's program in terms of raising your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user