Should I consider reapplying next cycle? TMDSAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pizzaboy4222

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
A bit of a dilemma here..

I submitted my primary on July 24th. However, after having some people review the PS, they said it was mediocre and had some things to improve upon. Not only that, I have yet to ask my recommenders to write me LORs. If I ask tomorrow (today, ALL THREE of my professors who I want to ask for LORS are not in their office), at best, I can prob have them finish in 3 weeks from now (beyond Aug 20th).

Having average stats like 3.8 gpa, 511 MCAT, and wanting to go to a school like at least McGovern and not El Paso, with a lackluster PS and recommenders I don't know if they will all be available tomorrow, should I consider withdrawing or should I just go through the cycle and see where it takes me? My friend last year who submitted on July 14th had his McGovern interview on 12/13 so having so much delays in my app already, should I consider starting over next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Incoming McGovern MS1 here. I applied with identical statistics. Here's what I would tell you:

You lose nothing (aside from a few hundred bucks) by applying. Throw your hat in the ring; you never know what might happen. If things don't go your way, then reapply. Give yourself a shot this cycle!

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
@BonesAndBourbon,
thank you for your encouraging words. I have a quick question tho.. if I withdraw right now (my primary has not been verified but I already submitted it on July the 24th and paid the money), will I be considered a reapplicant? Also, can I withdraw from certain schools but not others? My app has not been transmitted yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
@BonesAndBourbon,
thank you for your encouraging words. I have a quick question tho.. if I withdraw right now (my primary has not been verified but I already submitted it on July the 24th and paid the money), will I be considered a reapplicant? Also, can I withdraw from certain schools but not others? My app has not been transmitted yet.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure with regards to either of these questions.

@wysdoc - any input on this? Thanks in advance for your help.

"At least McGovern, not a school like El Paso". What a joke. El Paso is a great city with a unique atmosphere in Texas. The school provides a great education and a competitive match list. Don't worry about "prestige". It reflects poorly on you when you make statements like that.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound that way. I meant I want to stay in Houston, because El Paso is too far from home.

Reactions: 1 users
A bit of a dilemma here..

I submitted my primary on July 24th. However, after having some people review the PS, they said it was mediocre and had some things to improve upon. Not only that, I have yet to ask my recommenders to write me LORs. If I ask tomorrow (today, ALL THREE of my professors who I want to ask for LORS are not in their office), at best, I can prob have them finish in 3 weeks from now (beyond Aug 20th).

Having average stats like 3.8 gpa, 511 MCAT, and wanting to go to a school like at least McGovern and not El Paso, with a lackluster PS and recommenders I don't know if they will all be available tomorrow, should I consider withdrawing or should I just go through the cycle and see where it takes me? My friend last year who submitted on July 14th had his McGovern interview on 12/13 so having so much delays in my app already, should I consider starting over next year?

Does your undergrad have a health professions advisor?

You should have asked your LORs a long time ago if they would be willing to write a letter. You'll also need to keep in mind other professors if the ones you originally ask are busy. I would ask more than 3 professors and use Interfolio to collect the letters. Once there are 3 letters, you can send it into TMDSAS (not sure how interfolio/TMDSAS works, but I'm sure you can read more into that).
All your letters have to be in by Oct 1st otherwise your whole application is sunk. You obviously want to get them in much much sooner since some schools require that before you get evaluated. I recommend asking more than 3 people to be safe and then using the first 3 that come in because if the 3 professors you ask say yes and fail to respond to follow-up emails in a few weeks, it would be even later to ask another person.

I would advise you to take CASPer as soon as possible if you haven't already.
Also try to get those secondaries done quickly too and have a few pairs of eyes read over it to give suggestions for improvement.

From what I can tell:
McGovern starts reviewing your application once you submit the secondary. As does A&M and Long. If you had higher MCAT, you would receive an automatic interview from UTSW. Otherwise, you need your letters in for them to evaluate your application and send you an II.
UTMB requires letters and CASPer. Lubbock, Baylor, TTUHSC EP, UTRGV all require letters in to be considered complete and for your application to be reviewed.

Last cycle I applied early with similar stats and got an II from McGovern and didn’t get in so applying mid/late August with a mediocre personal statement seems less than ideal

Reactions: 2 users
@BonesAndBourbon,
Once your app is transmitted you are a reapplicant

It’s tricky. Would you be happy getting into any Med school in tX? If so, I’d say just continue with the cycle as is. If you’d rather spend a gap year doing something else to have the best possible cycle by being ready ASAP then withdraw and wait until next May.

The time to ask for LORs is around February/March of the year you want to apply.