Should I continue pursuing Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayejayeed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I'm a sophomore high school that's currently living in the Philippines, but I am a US Citizen. I'm planning to take BS in Pharmacy once I reach college here in the Philippines to complete the prerequisites then go back to the US to get my Pharm.D so I could work in the US.

I did some research about Pharmacy once I found that being a Pharmacist was I wanted to do. I really wanted to help people and help people get better plus I really like science and math even though I'm not the best at doing. I have already researched for possible Pharmacy school choices for the future and took the prerequisites to heart so I pushed myself to listen and understand my math and science subjects even more. Then researching the subject even more, I found that a lot of pharmacists don't like their jobs, can't find a job, or say that it really wasn't worth it.

So now I need some realistic, truthful advice from pharmacy students and/or pharmacists.
Is Pharmacy worth it? Is it worth all the money you have to pay for pharmacy school? Is the job market really as big as the pharmacy schools claim that it is to be? Should I still continue to pursue Pharmacy?

I'm still a sophomore high school student so I really like some insight in this career choice I made since I still have some time to choose another career path if the future in Pharmacy isn't looking to bright after say 10 years since that's when I'll be out looking for a job when I graduate.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would guess that you'll graduate from pharmacy school about 12-15 years from now, during which no one can say what will happen to the job market but based on current trends, it is most likely to get far worse since new schools are still opening in the US with no end in sight. Three are other career paths to consider such as engineering, computer programming, finance, accounting, physician assistant, etc. that have similar or better job markets compared to pharmacy and do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans.

Well I'm a sophomore high school that's currently living in the Philippines, but I am a US Citizen. I'm planning to take BS in Pharmacy once I reach college here in the Philippines to complete the prerequisites then go back to the US to get my Pharm.D so I could work in the US.

I did some research about Pharmacy once I found that being a Pharmacist was I wanted to do. I really wanted to help people and help people get better plus I really like science and math even though I'm not the best at doing. I have already researched for possible Pharmacy school choices for the future and took the prerequisites to heart so I pushed myself to listen and understand my math and science subjects even more. Then researching the subject even more, I found that a lot of pharmacists don't like their jobs, can't find a job, or say that it really wasn't worth it.

So now I need some realistic, truthful advice from pharmacy students and/or pharmacists.
Is Pharmacy worth it? Is it worth all the money you have to pay for pharmacy school? Is the job market really as big as the pharmacy schools claim that it is to be? Should I still continue to pursue Pharmacy?

I'm still a sophomore high school student so I really like some insight in this career choice I made since I still have some time to choose another career path if the future in Pharmacy isn't looking to bright after say 10 years since that's when I'll be out looking for a job when I graduate.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

If you enjoy healthcare, you would be much better off going the PA school, physical therapy, or nurse practitioner route.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you're still in high school, you have a lot of time to do some shadowing/volunteering to explore all your options. Pharmacy job outlook is not as great as it used to be, so the only reason it would be worth the money now is if you've worked in one and really can't see yourself doing anything else (that being said, I don't think paying 200k+ for any Rx school is worth it). I shadowed dentists and MDs in high school and decided on pharmacy my first year of college. Been a tech for 5 years now. If you do your exploring and really find that pharmacy is for you, then follow that path. Otherwise, I would suggest PA or NP like the poster above.

Get a list of top 10 careers (I like to define a career different than just a job) you can see yourself doing and enjoying. To help with this, think of a broader spectrum that intrigues you: Example "healthcare" since your intrigued with pharmacy. Then computer science, political science, teaching, etc etc...For you, pick some of these topics and within them look at careers specifically and SHADOW....Shadow different types of pharmacists, shadow physicians, shadow nurses, it really helps....After all is said and done then you can ask yourself if its really a career or job for you...Once you hit that point, you really must evaluate yourself of the cons of student loans and the pros of budgeting and paycheck with a career you ENJOY (important factor there).

By the naked eye, pharmacy is saturated and by then the idea is more "titles" and opportunities will be available in hospital and other settings for a PharmD. holder (....dont live and die on this thought..). But one things for sure: anything clinical prepare for a residency of more hours and little pay (put you love it, and will enjoy your Career choice). Anyway, things to ponder.

Reactions: 1 user