Should I continue to take post-bac classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AcceptableKale

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm currently in my application cycle to MD and DO schools. I have a 510 on the MCAT.

I've taken 22 units with a 4.0 at a post-bac (I was a music major in undergrad and have a non-traditional background with very unique ECs, strong letters, and strong personal statement).

I'm wondering if I should continue taking classes at my post-bac after having submitted my MD and DO primary applications and am currently waiting for interviews. If so, what would be the point in taking classes ie would an update letter in December 2020 if I receive my Fall 2020 semester grades be of any use to admissions committees?

Thanks

Edit: just wanted to tag others to hear their opinions (kind of new to posting here, so I think we can do this right?)

@Goro @gonnif

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Interesting situation; 30 hours is usually sufficient and 50 hours is the "gold" standard (pending who you get advice from).

What is your current cGPA and sGPA? It will be hard to give great advice without this information.

I'm just spitballing, but I would take 8 more hours at minimum this fall just to reach that 30 credit hour threshold (as it is technically a full year of studies). I would include these classes on my primary application (I know you already submitted, but I would probably update each school that you have enrolled for 'x' amount of hours in 'y' classes), and I would email schools my updated transcripts in December. Then, I would wait to hear back / gauge interests.

If come December, you have an acceptance, then you could stop taking classes. But if you had a lot of interviews, then you could *probably* stop taking classes (again, we would need to know your gpa for sure; but a lot of interviews to me indicates that schools are looking past your gpa), and finally, if you have no interviews whatsoever, then you wouldn't hurt from continuing the post-bacc to 50 hours.

@Goro

Last edited:
Interesting situation; 30 hours is usually sufficient and 50 hours is the "gold" standard (pending who you get advice from).

What is your current cGPA and sGPA? It will be hard to give great advice without this information.

I'm just spitballing, but I would take 8 more hours at minimum this fall just to reach that 30 credit hour threshold (as it is technically a full year of studies). I would include these classes on my primary application (I know you already submitted, but I would probably update each school that you have enrolled for 'x' amount of hours in 'y' classes), and I would email schools my updated transcripts in December. Then, I would wait to hear back / gauge interests.

If come December, you have an acceptance, then you could stop taking classes. But if you had a lot of interviews, then you could *probably* stop taking classes (again, we would need to know your gpa for sure; but a lot of interviews to me indicates that schools are looking past your gpa), and finally, if you have no interviews whatsoever, then you wouldn't hurt from continuing the post-bacc to 50 hours.

Thanks. I currently have a 3.6 cGPA and a 3.5 sGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I currently have a 3.6 cGPA and a 3.5 sGPA.
Does this include your 22 credits? If so, your GPA is very borderline, as is your MCAT for MD, so that's why you want to keep going. You are already in very decent shape for DO.

Your instincts are good in thinking that Fall 2020 grades would be too late to have any impact on reviews occurring before then. That thinking would change in a hurry in December if you had another 12 credits of 4.0 and zero IIs and wanted to send an update. Bottom line -- it might not be necessary, but would be good insurance. It's probably not necessary if you would be happy with DO.

Does this include your 22 credits? If so, your GPA is very borderline, as is your MCAT for MD, so that's why you want to keep going. You are already in very decent shape for DO.

Your instincts are good in thinking that Fall 2020 grades would be too late to have any impact on reviews occurring before then. That thinking would change in a hurry in December if you had another 12 credits of 4.0 and zero IIs and wanted to send an update. Bottom line -- it might not be necessary, but would be good insurance. It's probably not necessary if you would be happy with DO.

Yes, this includes my 22 credits.

I would be completely fine with DO if I'm not able to get into an MD school, although MD is my goal.

I'm wondering how much of an impact do you think 12 credits of 4.0 would have on my application if I had zero IIs around December. Do you think it would make a difference and push me into getting an interview or maybe even an acceptance at an MD school?

I would be completely fine with DO if I'm not able to get into an MD school, although MD is my goal.

I'm wondering how much of an impact do you think 12 credits of 4.0 would have on my application if I had zero IIs around December. Do you think it would make a difference and push me into getting an interview or maybe even an acceptance at an MD school?
IF gpa is your problem; then yes, it could push you over the edge.

It absolutely would help, although there is no way to know whether it would be enough to push you over the top. Read last year's threads. People with no IIs in December-February become very antsy and are desperate for any excuse to send an update to those schools willing to receive them. Few things are more impressive than a full semester's worth of work with a 4.0. It can do nothing but help if you are close. Of course, it won't mean anything if you are not.

If you are fine with DO, there is no reason not to just play the hand you have been dealt if you otherwise have no interest in taking the classes. It would be 12 credits on top of 22, so it's not insignificant, but it's not like you need them to get to a 3.0 or anything, so it's a really close call. You are already borderline for MD and in very good shape for DO, so it really is a judgment call rather than a clear yes or no.

Have you completed all of your prerequisite courses? With 22 post-bacc credits, it sounds like you have a few more classes to take? Is that correct? If you have taken them all, and if you can afford it, you can take some upper division science courses like A and P, Genetics, Immunology, Adv. Microbiology etc).

Have you done shadowing? Clinical volunteering/work and non clinical volunteering?