This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lettucelvr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little concerned about what I should be doing for my 2nd gap year and I heard a little about SMPs but I'm not really sure. Here are my stats:

-Biology major 3.3cGPA 3.4scGPA from a top 20 University
-MCAT in 2015 500 (yes I know), retake in 2016 507
-Graduated this May and am currently working full-time as a scribe at a clinic for underserved older population.
-I have 3 years of cancer/colitis research with 1 publication and 1 pending
-Volunteer work at Nursing home, oncology unit and some more random volunteering and TA experience
-Asian Male, naturalized US citizen in 3rd grade.

I'm applying this cycle and I am really doubting I get an interview. I know my GPA and MCAT aren't great. My advisors introduced me to SMPs and they think they should consider it and I was posting on here to see what other people thought, who have more experience with SMPs. I'm a resident of Illinois and I was thinking of Loyola/Temple/Cincinnati/Rosalind Franklin SMPs. I'm hesitant of taking the MCAT again in risk of taking it a third time AND going down. I will consider DO schools in the future but for now I want to do MD because of the philosophy.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a little concerned about what I should be doing for my 2nd gap year and I heard a little about SMPs but I'm not really sure. Here are my stats:

-Biology major 3.3cGPA 3.4scGPA from a top 20 University
-MCAT in 2015 500 (yes I know), retake in 2016 507
-Graduated this May and am currently working full-time as a scribe at a clinic for underserved older population.
-I have 3 years of cancer/colitis research with 1 publication and 1 pending
-Volunteer work at Nursing home, oncology unit and some more random volunteering and TA experience
-Asian Male, naturalized US citizen in 3rd grade.

I'm applying this cycle and I am really doubting I get an interview. I know my GPA and MCAT aren't great. My advisors introduced me to SMPs and they think they should consider it and I was posting on here to see what other people thought, who have more experience with SMPs. I'm a resident of Illinois and I was thinking of Loyola/Temple/Cincinnati/Rosalind Franklin SMPs. I'm hesitant of taking the MCAT again in risk of taking it a third time AND going down. I will consider DO schools in the future but for now I want to do MD because of the philosophy.

Quite frankly it is time to consider DO schools. Your MCAT isn't high enough to warrant an SMP and your GPAs aren't high enough to offset a 507 for MD schools. There is no such thing as having more opportunity with the MD if you never get into any medical school. Apply broadly to both and go where you get accepted, that should be your plan.