Feb 2, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
So, I'm currently waitlisted at Mercy and still hoping to be accepted their. I had applied to Midwestern but was rejected so they transferred my information to their Masters of Arts in Biomedical Science program. I just got accepted to the program as well. I was wondering if it is a good idea to do the 9 month masters program if I don't get accepted to mercy? My GPA is 3.56 overall and 3.3 science.

jkswimman

7+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2010
Status
Dental Student
*There. I am in the same position as you. I am awaiting a couple final decisions but I have been accepted to Midwesterns MA program. Personally I think it is a great program. If you do well in the MA program, they have a guaranteed interview for both dental campuses which almost certainly translates to an acceptance because Midwestern favors their own students. Getting an acceptance to the Midwestern's MA program is a great accomplishment. Last year at the IL campus, 570 applied but only 50 were enrolled. And if you read old MA threads all of them say that MA dental students were accepted. PM me if you have more questions.

periopocket

7+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2011
North East
Status
Dentist
No! With those grades you really don't need an SMP. Go for a 21 on the DAT instead. Your gpa is higher than Midwesterns dental school avg for god sake. Getting an MS will give u a strong advantage over others though if you are intent. Look at some better options that give you a full ride to do research. The MA is gonna cost you 35k! What's the point!

jeffity

7+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2009
Status
Dentist
So, I'm currently waitlisted at Mercy and still hoping to be accepted their. I had applied to Midwestern but was rejected so they transferred my information to their Masters of Arts in Biomedical Science program. I just got accepted to the program as well. I was wondering if it is a good idea to do the 9 month masters program if I don't get accepted to mercy? My GPA is 3.56 overall and 3.3 science.
What else could have kept you out of the race this cycle so far? I'm too lazy to dig through your post history. But was it timing? Number of schools? Interviewing? One-year masters programs are GPA fixers when your undergrad GPA is just beyond repair. You have 3.56 (2017 class was 3.57) and a 21/23. You should be fine in that department. And the 16QR can't be the snag. It's a pricey program that will of course benefit you to get in at MWU next cycle (it makes sense why they favor those students...and it's not just a money thing), but a pricey gateway into a pricey program isn't so awesome. I'm sure other schools will see the value of a masters, but based on stats, you don't seem like masters material. Closely look at other parts of your application from this cycle before you jump on that pricey ride. I'll cross my fingers for Mercy.

Reactions: periopocket

periopocket

7+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2011
North East
Status
Dentist
What else could have kept you out of the race this cycle so far? I'm too lazy to dig through your post history. But was it timing? Number of schools? Interviewing? One-year masters programs are GPA fixers when your undergrad GPA is just beyond repair. You have 3.56 (2017 class was 3.57) and a 21/23. You should be fine in that department. And the 16QR can't be the snag. It's a pricey program that will of course benefit you to get in at MWU next cycle (it makes sense why they favor those students...and it's not just a money thing), but a pricey gateway into a pricey program isn't so awesome. I'm sure other schools will see the value of a masters, but based on stats, you don't seem like masters material. Closely look at other parts of your application from this cycle before you jump on that pricey ride. I'll cross my fingers for Mercy.
Jeffity is right in that it will certainly help you at MWU. My cousin had around a. 3.0 gpa, did the MS in biomedical sciences at Midwestern Glendale, and in his last semester of the program got a single interview at the school and an acceptance! The 70k deff got him in and now he will spend another 400k for tuition...

OP
E
Feb 2, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
Jeffity is right in that it will certainly help you at MWU. My cousin had around a. 3.0 gpa, did the MS in biomedical sciences at Midwestern Glendale, and in his last semester of the program got a single interview at the school and an acceptance! The 70k deff got him in and now he will spend another 400k for tuition...
You guys are right. I don't think it's worth spending around $50,000 for an SMP program. I think it was my EC's that where not up to par with other applicants. I also did not have anything in my application that stands out. I was thinking of getting a certificate as an dental assistant.