Should I Drop? Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreshNewStart

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I've been a long time lurker :oops: and have now decided to join :) By the way I searched for answers to my question but most were pre-pharmacy and/or very dated. Sorry if I didn't find a new one btw. Here's my dilemma, I am currently a freshmen (I have about 50~ units) With an embarrassingly low 3.02 GPA I messed up because I started taking courses in high school at my community college thinking that my grades wouldn't count, well they did. I work a full-time job weekdays and a part-time job exclusively on the weekends. I am doing poorly in two classes which are Chem 101 and PreCal since I have little time to study. I am probably going to get a C these courses unless I opt to get a W. What should I do? Thanks and sorry for my long snoozer :sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone I've been a long time lurker :oops: and have now decided to join :) By the way I searched for answers to my question but most were pre-pharmacy and/or very dated. Sorry if I didn't find a new one btw. Here's my dilemma, I am currently a freshmen (I have about 50~ units) With an embarrassingly low 3.02 GPA I messed up because I started taking courses in high school at my community college thinking that my grades wouldn't count, well they did. I work a full-time job weekdays and a part-time job exclusively on the weekends. I am doing poorly in two classes which are Chem 101 and PreCal since I have little time to study. I am probably going to get a C these courses unless I opt to get a W. What should I do? Thanks and sorry for my long snoozer :sleep:

First off, welcome to SDN, I really hope you stick around! :)

Now, as I'm sure you already know, you have a bit of work ahead of you to get that GPA up, however your only a freshman so it's completely doable.

I really think you gotta find a way to cut down on the hours your working, I know you need money, but your future is more important. Since getting more C's is only going to hurt you more, its probably best to drop them, and bite the Ws, cut down on hours and start fresh next semester.:(

First off, welcome to SDN, I really hope you stick around! :)

Now, as I'm sure you already know, you have a bit of work ahead of you to get that GPA up, however your only a freshman so it's completely doable.

I really think you gotta find a way to cut down on the hours your working, I know you need money, but your future is more important. Since getting more C's is only going to hurt you more, its probably best to drop them, and bite the Ws, cut down on hours and start fresh next semester.:(

Oh I'll stick around :p
Last week I came to a realization :idea: and I quit my full-time job :eek: so I can better focus on my studies since its a M-F job.
I think I will start volunteering at a hospital if I receive W's since I will only have two general-ed classes left and a huge eight hour gap, maybe i should beg for my job back? :laugh:
I appreciate your advice, thank you.
I know it's way to early but wouldn't the W's raise red flags? And be looked down upon?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I'll stick around :p
Last week I came to a realization :idea: and I quit my full-time job :eek: so I can better focus on my studies since its a M-F job.
I think I will start volunteering at a hospital if I receive W's since I will only have two general-ed classes left and a huge eight hour gap, maybe i should beg for my job back? :laugh:
I appreciate your advice, thank you.
I know it's way to early but wouldn't the W's raise red flags? And be looked down upon?

Yes, Ws won't look good, but in my humble opinion, they'll look better than C's. If you show a steep upward trend after this, you should be able to partly explain your actions by saying you were tryig to work waay too much:oops:

Yes, Ws won't look good, but in my humble opinion, they'll look better than C's. If you show a steep upward trend after this, you should be able to partly explain your actions by saying you were tryig to work waay too much:oops:

Sounds like it makes sense... Thanks for the advice :thumbup:
I'm transferring from my CC to a U so I can focus on my studies even better and have more opportunities to academically succeed.

This. No matter how bad you think W's will look, C's will both look worse and be prominent (appear in your GPA, which schools will see at first glance and bring it down.) I also agree with duck's comment on explaining your poor performance as early overload as a freshman.

This. No matter how bad you think W's will look, C's will both look worse and be prominent (appear in your GPA, which schools will see at first glance and bring it down.) I also agree with duck's comment on explaining your poor performance as early overload as a freshman.

Thanks, I think the clueless overload freshmen excuse my work for me then :D I have a new question that deals with me asking for advice but on a different topic, should I start a new thread? I don't wan to be labeled a troll because I've seen how SDN'rs treat them :scared:

Thanks, I think the clueless overload freshmen excuse my work for me then :D I have a new question that deals with me asking for advice but on a different topic, should I start a new thread? I don't wan to be labeled a troll because I've seen how SDN'rs treat them :scared:

well, why don't you post your other question here, then if you don't get a satisfactory answer, start a new thread :). Trolls get shot on sight around here...:cool:

I'm currently in a bittersweet dilemma I've been accepted to UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara, and UC Irvine and waiting on UC San Diego through the TAG program(It's for California CC students) for the Fall of 2011. But seeing as I'm dropping a few courses I will have to delay it until Fall 2012 at the earliest. Should I just go out of state somewhere else through the WICHE program that will allow me to transfer as early as next semester. I would also like to add that The UC's practically require me to do all the medical school requirements at the CC before I am allowed to matriculate since my major is Biochemistry and they require that Bio & Chem majors complete all lower division in a CC. So should I transfer or stay at a UC for the "prestige" of it when compared to most schools in the WICHE region.

I just got TAG approved for Davis a few days ago too! You should definitely wait and transfer there with me! :D

I guess it depends a lot on what out-of-state schools you would be going to, going to a UC is definately far from a magic ticket into medical school.tThe common viewpoint on here is that prestige doesnt really matter, which is complete BS in my opinion. How happy would you be going to the out of state school, whats the cost difference, guessing by the amount of hours you were working, money is obviously an issue for you. I don't really think there's really one right answer people online can give you to this question, you just gotta really explore and think about things yourself.

Your right, if your a science major there really isnt an easy way around taking your pre-reqs at the jc, hence why I chose psych as my major.

I just dropped and it hurt so much :( But I think I learned my lesson and now know my limits as to how far I can go so thanks everyone for their advice :) I just now need to decide whether or not to transfer out of state or wait and go to a UC :confused: