Should I drop my class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nabilesmail

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently on two waitlist, one of them is an alternative waitlist (there is a high priority) and based on past cycles, barely anyone gets in off it.

The other is a normal waitlist for Albany. They draw, in rank order from the waitlist and no updates are accepted. We are already ranked, however, they will not disclose any information about our rank or percentile (I've emailed them).

To graduate, and I guess matriculate, I need to complete one last CLass- Spanish 3- at my resident institution (must be completed here), a class I am currently enrolled in. However, the class costs 6,000$ and financial aid is not given for the Summer. The last day to drop the class with a refund is 7/12

If I don't get into medical school this cycle, I am already planning to stay an extra year and take extra classes, including Spanish 3, where financial aid covers the class. There is no advantage to taking the class now unless it is for matriculating to medical school, either way I am taking 18 units each semester to increase my GPA (just in case of a 3rd cycle).

I wish they could disclose my rank so I can assess my chances, but they wont. This class is super time consuming ( I spend 2.5 hrs each day commuting, 3 hrs in class, + a test every week) and it is taking away time from focusing on pre-writing secondaries (though still perfectly possible).

I was thinking about just dropping the class on the 12th, but, if I do so, I do not graduate. What should I do? :/ It seems my chance of getting an acceptance is like <10%, 6 people have already been pulled of the WL for Albany (on studoc), and most of them have no other acceptances. Last year, from this time period onwards, 3 people were pulled (that reported on studoc) in late July. + there are stories of people being pulled off 3 days before orientation.

Members don't see this ad.

If you've already paid the money, are already knee deep in the class, and think that it's "still perfectly possible," then I would just stick it out and finish the class. This way you don't shoot yourself in the foot on the off-chance that you get off a waitlist.

Also, I wouldn't recommend taking any more classes to boost your GPA, since it is fine as is. Your problem was that you applied way too top heavy.

If you've already paid the money, are already knee deep in the class, and think that it's "still perfectly possible," then I would just stick it out and finish the class. This way you don't shoot yourself in the foot on the off-chance that you get off a waitlist.

Also, I wouldn't recommend taking any more classes to boost your GPA, since it is fine as is. Your problem was that you applied way too top heavy.

+1 to the boosting GPA part. A 3.74 is strong enough for any school outside the top 15. You did apply a little top heavy.

You need to realize that if you withdraw from the class, you'll also need to withdraw from your 2 waitlists. Since withdrawing means you won't get your degree. Even if those schools magically accepted you this late in the game, you wouldn't be able to attend after you drop.

No matter if you get accepted or not this cycle, if money is a concern, I'd suggest this strategy:
  1. Finish spanish this summer and graduate!
  2. DO NOT CONTINUE TAKING CLASSES! Adcoms won't really care if your 3.74 becomes a 3.81 by the time a 3rd cycle comes around. 2 semesters of 18 credits cost WAY more than one $6k summer course. Lest you not forget the ~$10,000 for housing and food.
  3. Get a job, make money, and boost your ECs. By this time next summer you could have made >$20k. If you can live with your parents, extra bonus! Start paying off those student loans while you're at it.