Should I even bother applying to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon4895

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been doing a little bit of research in regards to medical school admission statistics but I'd like some specific advice regarding my situation, if possible.

Here's my story:

I went to a community college and performed pretty well. My GPA was in the high 3's. I transferred to a university and lived there. Dorm life got the best of me... I spent 3 semesters there, doing semi-decently for two and absolutely tanking one (i'm talking like F's for that semester).

I've subsequently decided to transfer out and start at a new university. I did some calculations and maintaining around a 3.7 gpa from now until graduation (which I strongly believe I can do) would put me between a gpa of 3.17-3.18.

I guess this is a slightly unique situation since instead of having grades consistently floating around my overall gpa I'll have very high grades mixed in with very low grades. Also some of my higher grades will be from a community college, which I assume may hold less weight to admissions boards. Also I understand MCAT scores and extra curriculars will come into play. Do I have any shot with those grades? If so what would my MCAT and ec's need to look like? What about options like Caribbean schools?

I know this is a slightly long post, but I can't thank anyone enough who can provide knowledgeable insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Retake your F's and apply DO. A 3.2 GPA won't cut it at any US MD school, sorry.

Retake your F's and apply DO. A 3.2 GPA won't cut it at any US MD school, sorry.

Pretty much what I expected. What about Caribbean schools? In your opinion would a DO be more advantageous than a Caribbean MD?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty much what I expected. What about Caribbean schools? In your opinion would a DO be more advantageous than a Caribbean MD?
Yes. 1) You'd have a much greater chance of having a diploma to show for the high cost of your medical education. Caribbean schools have a high rate of attrition.
2) And you'd have a far higher chance of matching into a US residency program (89%). Caribbean grads have about a 50% chance.
3) You'd also have a far better shot at matching into a nonprimary care residency if that's what you want to do.

Here is hard data:
2011 DO vs International grad Match rates to specialties (graphics): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=12109604

Hey guys,

I've been doing a little bit of research in regards to medical school admission statistics but I'd like some specific advice regarding my situation, if possible.

Here's my story:

I went to a community college and performed pretty well. My GPA was in the high 3's. I transferred to a university and lived there. Dorm life got the best of me... I spent 3 semesters there, doing semi-decently for two and absolutely tanking one (i'm talking like F's for that semester).

I've subsequently decided to transfer out and start at a new university. I did some calculations and maintaining around a 3.7 gpa from now until graduation (which I strongly believe I can do) would put me between a gpa of 3.17-3.18.

I guess this is a slightly unique situation since instead of having grades consistently floating around my overall gpa I'll have very high grades mixed in with very low grades. Also some of my higher grades will be from a community college, which I assume may hold less weight to admissions boards. Also I understand MCAT scores and extra curriculars will come into play. Do I have any shot with those grades? If so what would my MCAT and ec's need to look like? What about options like Caribbean schools?

I know this is a slightly long post, but I can't thank anyone enough who can provide knowledgeable insight.

You would need perfect ECs (300+ in each: hospital, leadership, teamwork, community, and research...the latter more like 500, also about 120 hours of shadowing over 3 physicians at least one a PCP) Need a 32+ on the MCAT. Then you have low chances of acceptance at US MD, interview would need to be above average. Also, something that makes your app outstanding like and award. 90 % percent chances a SMP or postbacc will be requested at all schools you are rejected from.

For DO maybe the MCAT can be lower and less ECs and add a DO shadowing experience.

Caribbean is fine and good except risky because you have not proven you can handle the regular university, the Carib curriculum is not easy.

It isn't over. I had a really bad year when I moved into the dorms (not just grade-wise, either--pretty much messed up everything). If you do extremely well from now on (try for 4.0s), do well on the MCAT (33+), and have good ECs, you probably can get into an MD or DO. One bad semester is more forgivable than consistently getting around a 3.0. PM me if you want to talk more.

I wouldn't count yourself out of the race just yet. UCF alone, had GPAs ranging from 3.10 to 4.00 in their first and second years of classes. I have seen similar stats with a few other schools as well. Do your best to get the highest GPA possible. Nail your science courses and retake any you tanked. And then bust hump on your MCAT, shoot for the best you think you can get and take all the MCAT tips into account, like studying under different noise, temperature, etc, conditions. It's also not too late to get in your ECs.

If this is what you really want, then do it. Don't let anyone steer you differently. And talk with a pre-med advisor who will know exactly what you need to do. Be on the look out for schools that like non-trads and have a wider GPA range. Drexel is a little tight on the GPAs but they love nontrads. Which I am assuming you are, but could be misundertanding. :rolleyes:

You would need perfect ECs (300+ in each: hospital, leadership, teamwork, community, and research...the latter more like 500, also about 120 hours of shadowing over 3 physicians at least one a PCP) Need a 32+ on the MCAT. Then you have low chances of acceptance at US MD, interview would need to be above average. Also, something that makes your app outstanding like and award. 90 % percent chances a SMP or postbacc will be requested at all schools you are rejected from.

For DO maybe the MCAT can be lower and less ECs and add a DO shadowing experience.

Caribbean is fine and good except risky because you have not proven you can handle the regular university, the Carib curriculum is not easy.

What's a SMP? Also can you elaborate on posbacc. Will a school reject me but advise me to get into a postbacc program? If so what would be my chances after?

It isn't over. I had a really bad year when I moved into the dorms (not just grade-wise, either--pretty much messed up everything). If you do extremely well from now on (try for 4.0s), do well on the MCAT (33+), and have good ECs, you probably can get into an MD or DO. One bad semester is more forgivable than consistently getting around a 3.0. PM me if you want to talk more.

Thanks. PM sent.

I wouldn't count yourself out of the race just yet. UCF alone, had GPAs ranging from 3.10 to 4.00 in their first and second years of classes. I have seen similar stats with a few other schools as well. Do your best to get the highest GPA possible. Nail your science courses and retake any you tanked. And then bust hump on your MCAT, shoot for the best you think you can get and take all the MCAT tips into account, like studying under different noise, temperature, etc, conditions. It's also not too late to get in your ECs.

If this is what you really want, then do it. Don't let anyone steer you differently. And talk with a pre-med advisor who will know exactly what you need to do. Be on the look out for schools that like non-trads and have a wider GPA range. Drexel is a little tight on the GPAs but they love nontrads. Which I am assuming you are, but could be misundertanding. :rolleyes:

What exactly qualifies as a nontrad?

Let's be serious, because this is your future.

Community colleges are easy compared to real universities, so receiving lower than a 3.7 can be bad. You are competing against students that have an average GPA of that at more difficult schools.

From my perspective, you would have to have perfect grades for the rest of college, some amazing LOR, and a PS that was absolutely amazing to get an interview. Some schools do blind interviews, which means they make a decision without knowing your file, which would probably be your best bet... however, you have to get that interview first which is unlikely with those grades. You would need what I listed above to get it.

Definitely retake the classes, get amazing grades and score way above average on the MCAT. You could always go for a Masters or a postbach instead of applying right away.

DO schools are what I would be looking at. Keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with them. You still are a doctor after you finish. You can still be a surgeon/family practice/pediatrician/whatever type of doctor you want to be. However, your current GPA is still low for DO schools. You really need to put a focus on school. If you can't handle college and get good grades, how will you handle medical school?

Hey guys,

Here's my story:

Retake anything you have gotten a "D" or an "F" in and consider doing something ELSE to improve your application. Get a Master's in a health related field like public health or health administration....DO WELL!!!! No partying. I don't recommend going abroad for your degree....work harder to get into an accredited school either MD or DO. We have several prospective medical students working at our community health center as Americorp volunteers. If you are determined enough to take the time to overcome some bad grades you should make it in someplace. Good luck!

Retake anything you have gotten a "D" or an "F" in and consider doing something ELSE to improve your application. Get a Master's in a health related field like public health or health administration....DO WELL!!!! No partying. I don't recommend going abroad for your degree....work harder to get into an accredited school either MD or DO. We have several prospective medical students working at our community health center as Americorp volunteers. If you are determined enough to take the time to overcome some bad grades you should make it in someplace. Good luck!
This is misguided advice. Wasting time in a public health or health administration degree will not help at all with getting into a science intensive program.

You don't want to waste your time with a Caribbean MD. 50% don't make it after 2 years and only 50% of those remaining get residency, mostly in primary care.

Retake all D and F and with a 3.5/28, you can get into the top Osteopathic programs. Sure, a 3.2 may get you looked at, but where? Probably newer less established programs.

What's a SMP? Also can you elaborate on posbacc. Will a school reject me but advise me to get into a postbacc program? If so what would be my chances after?

SMP - Special Masters Program. A graduate level 1- or 2-year program, can be a degree or certificate, that exposes you to a science intensive medical school, or medical school like, curriculum.

Post-bacc - Post-baccalaureate studies at the undergraduate level. Can be a degree or non-degree program where you take upper division science classes and/or the med school pre-requisites.

Yes, FEW schools advise after you are rejected and based on low GPA, they tend to suggest SMP or post-bacc (depending on if you have completed such programs already). Chances for those that complete SMPs with above a 3.5 are approximately 70-80 percent.

non-traditional student pertains to applicants who didnt apply directly after completing 4 years(bachelors) of a science degree. Im nontraditional bc i have a degree in a non-science field but also took all the premed classes etc.

Mommydoc85, what schools are you referring to that like nontraditional applicants?

I mentioned Drexel. University of Rochester, University of Miami, Temple, UF.
If you "search" it here, you can find a few threads on the topic. :)

My history was just like yours. Up's and downs ... graduated CC with honors ... more ups and downs upon graduating 4 year. The bottom line is you have to prove yourself still. If you smoke the MCAT (like 35+) you might have a chance with your current state. But if you don't ...

You have to do a masters, post grad courses, retake old ones... whatever. Basically take a solid course load for a year and do well. Do well on the MCAT and you will illustrate you can handle med school and you will have a solid chance at DO schools. If you still don't quite reach that goal then you can apply caribbean. Getting in the big 4 schools isn't as easy as many people say so don't take this option for granted.