Should I even bother

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepykitty123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK so here's the thing I messed up my first two years of undergrad because I was battling my thyroid and my depression so my cumulative GPA was like a 1.9 those two years. I got my thyroid issues fixed and I'm doing better with the whole moodiness which turns out was connected to the thyroid thing anyway.... I got a 4.0 my jr and sr year and now I'm about graduate my 2 year SMP with a 4.0 as well. If I do well on the MCAT do I have a shot at an MD school. I have been working as an EMT my jr of college and I volunteer with the homeless health clinic as well. According to the AMCAS grade calculator I have an overall 3.2 including my post bacc.... Or should I just go to paramedic school and be a paramedic for a while then apply for med school?

Members don't see this ad.

You would need a MCAT of at least 508 to have a reasonable chance for MD school. For DO schools, at least 500 would be OK for some schools. Study hard and take the MCAT when your practice scores are consistently above 508.

Don't go to paramedic school unless that's what you really want to do. What's your cGPA and sGPA without the SMP? You mention your GPAs include your post bac grades. Is your post bac your SMP? Was it a formal SMP? Does it have linkage to a med school? I'd talk to your advisors at the SMP and see where previous students have had success in getting acceptances. But as you know everything rests on how you do on the MCAT. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app