Should I focus on applying to MD or DO Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

imtoobusy

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this is a very very common question but as a senior (waiting until the 2019 cycle to apply so I can save some moolaaa), I need to weigh my options and start planning. So here's the gist: currently sitting at a cGPA of 3.4-3.5 but I might be able to get it up to a 3.6 by the time I graduate with a degree in physiology. My MD sGPA is higher than my DO sGPA because I do well in math courses. I will have had lots of volunteer and clinical experiences (ranging from international trips to being a CNA to over 2.5 years of advanced lab research and another .5 year in a data analysis lab).

HOWEVER, there are things causing me concern and honestly, my advisor is practically useless. I failed a course - like 0.0 in an advanced science course required for my major and am currently retaking it to hopefully get a 3.5 or 4.0.

How much will this 0.0 impact medical school admissions view of my application? Other than that course and 1 course I got a 2.5 in, all my other grades are 3.0s or above.

I need everyone to be completely real with me on this, I can take it. I just don't know where I should focus my efforts.
 
Last edited: