Should I get a LOR from a class that I got a C?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

happy_6523

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a C in medicinal chemistry class. I contacted my professor and she was willing to write a letter of recommendation for me. Since I was taking biochemistry and medical chemistry concurrently (biochemistry was the prerequisite of the class), she told me that she can explain my grade in the letter that a C probably is not as bad a grade as it looks like at first glance. However, she was unable to write about how much I put in the course because she had no knowledge of my particular efforts.
Should I get a recommendation from her?

I can get a recommendation letter from my general chemistry professor instead. He wrote it when I applied to transfer university. It seems too old as I took his classes when I was a freshman, but I did very well in his classes, he can write about my academic ability.
 
Honestly I'd take what you can get. I contacted 2 of my professors whose classes I did great in and neither of them have gotten back to me.
 
I got a C in medicinal chemistry class. I contacted my professor and she was willing to write a letter of recommendation for me. Since I was taking biochemistry and medical chemistry concurrently (biochemistry was the prerequisite of the class), she told me that she can explain my grade in the letter that a C probably is not as bad a grade as it looks like at first glance. However, she was unable to write about how much I put in the course because she had no knowledge of my particular efforts.
Should I get a recommendation from her?

I can get a recommendation letter from my general chemistry professor instead. He wrote it when I applied to transfer university. It seems too old as I took his classes when I was a freshman, but I did very well in his classes, he can write about my academic ability.
That should be your last resort. It might be okay if she knows you well and writes a great letter regardless of the grade, but in this case it seems like she doesn't know you well. A mediocre letter will make you look really bad, coupled with the C.

Get it from the chem professor.