Should I give up medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dck8511

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a junior hoping to get into medical school. I really wanted to go to medical school since 2nd semester of freshman year but I'm not sure if i have any chances...
Here are my stats:
Double major in Neuroscience and Biology (both B.S.)
Minor in Philosophy
Undergrad: Top 30 school. Strong neuroscience department
GPA: 3.35 <- this is cumulative so far. My science gpa is probably a bit lower.
Bench Research experience in Neurophysiology lab of medical school: 250+ hours
Clinical Research experience in Neurology lab of a large teaching hospital: 200+ hours
Bio TA for a year
Hospital volunteer: 200+ hours
Shadowing: 150+ hours
EMT-B license(im going to work as EMT during my gap year after college)
Bunch of school ECs:
School Newspaper photographer/editor for 2 years.
Student Union position.
Refugee-related club vice-president/volunteering(helping refugees is something I've been involved in since high school): 5+ years
Robotics club vice-president: 2 years(We had bunch of projects and participated in makeathon)
Some intramural sports experience.

I have a low GPA because I had something personal going on (family stuff) in the first 3 semesters and I distracted myself by getting involved in bunch of ECs on campus... I also didnt do great in chem (even though I did well in bio classes). My gpa has an upward trend tho.
I honestly don' know how I'll do on MCAT but I'm going to prepare as much as I can and try my best.
If I do have chance at any MD schools, what MCAT score should I aim for? Are there some other things I can improve on?
I even looked into post-bacc linked med schools to improve my GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your state of residence? Things change if you're from a "lucky state"

Figure out what your sGPA is and report back. It's important.

Assuming you have a cGPA of 3.35 and a sGPA of 3.25, you're still in a good spot for DO with a mediocre MCAT.

If I do have chance at any MD schools, what MCAT score should I aim for?

This is one of my least favorite questions of all time. The aim is always just try to do the best you can and maximize your abilities.

For non-Hispanics and non-blacks, rule of thumb is 510+ for MD and 505+ for DO to have a good shot.

Also, you already posted basically the same thing about a year ago and got some good advice.

Reactions: 1 users
Im from massachusetrs and my sgpa is 3.23. Also, my cumulative gpa is 3.4 if that changes anything... Do I have no chance at MD schools unless I somehow ace the MCAT? What about one of those post-bac programs with linkage?
What is your state of residence? Things change if you're from a "lucky state"

Figure out what your sGPA is and report back. It's important.

Assuming you have a cGPA of 3.35 and a sGPA of 3.25, you're still in a good spot for DO with a mediocre MCAT.

This is one of my least favorite questions of all time. The aim is always just try to do the best you can and maximize your abilities.

For non-Hispanics and non-blacks, rule of thumb is 510+ for MD and 505+ for DO to have a good shot.

Also, you already posted basically the same thing about a year ago and got some good advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im from massachusetrs and my sgpa is 3.23. Also, my cumulative gpa is 3.4 if that changes anything... Do I have no chance at MD schools unless I somehow ace the MCAT? What about one of those post-bac programs with linkage?

cGPA = 3.4
sGPA = 3.23

I'd not call getting a 510 "acing the MCAT." It's a good score, sure, top 15%-ish percentile wise. 515+ is acing it.

You're a good candidate for a post-bac program. to get your GPAs up. Maybe go for an SMP (usually more expensive than a normal post-bac) only if you'd done well on the MCAT

With your GPA, beggars can't be choosers. If you want to practice medicine in the States, you need to apply to DO schools. States such as MA and MD are ones that have a lot of highly accomplished premed students but just 1 state med school, explaining why the average stats at University of MA and University of MD SOM are very high for a state school.

I see. Thanks for the advice! What exactly is SMP? How is it related to med school?
cGPA = 3.4
sGPA = 3.23

I'd not call getting a 510 "acing the MCAT." It's a good score, sure, top 15%-ish percentile wise. 515+ is acing it.

You're a good candidate for a post-bac program. to get your GPAs up. Maybe go for an SMP (usually more expensive than a normal post-bac) only if you'd done well on the MCAT

With your GPA, beggars can't be choosers. If you want to practice medicine in the States, you need to apply to DO schools. States such as MA and MD are ones that have a lot of highly accomplished premed students but just 1 state med school, explaining why the average stats at University of MA and University of MD SOM are very high for a state school.

Hi guys, I'm a junior hoping to get into medical school. I really wanted to go to medical school since 2nd semester of freshman year but I'm not sure if i have any chances...
Here are my stats:
Double major in Neuroscience and Biology (both B.S.)
Minor in Philosophy
Undergrad: Top 30 school. Strong neuroscience department
GPA: 3.35 <- this is cumulative so far. My science gpa is probably a bit lower.
Bench Research experience in Neurophysiology lab of medical school: 250+ hours
Clinical Research experience in Neurology lab of a large teaching hospital: 200+ hours
Bio TA for a year
Hospital volunteer: 200+ hours
Shadowing: 150+ hours
EMT-B license(im going to work as EMT during my gap year after college)
Bunch of school ECs:
School Newspaper photographer/editor for 2 years.
Student Union position.
Refugee-related club vice-president/volunteering(helping refugees is something I've been involved in since high school): 5+ years
Robotics club vice-president: 2 years(We had bunch of projects and participated in makeathon)
Some intramural sports experience.

I have a low GPA because I had something personal going on (family stuff) in the first 3 semesters and I distracted myself by getting involved in bunch of ECs on campus... I also didnt do great in chem (even though I did well in bio classes). My gpa has an upward trend tho.
I honestly don' know how I'll do on MCAT but I'm going to prepare as much as I can and try my best.
If I do have chance at any MD schools, what MCAT score should I aim for? Are there some other things I can improve on?
I even looked into post-bacc linked med schools to improve my GPA.
You fine for many DO schools, and IF you have a rising GPA, then some MD schools as well. U MA is your best hope, as mentioned above. Your GPAs are right about the 10th %ile for U MA

A high MCAT doesn't remediate a low GPA...and the discrepancy does raise eyebrows.

If you're boning for the MD, then read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

You fine for many DO schools, and IF you have a rising GPA, then some MD schools as well. U MA is your best hope, as mentioned above. Your GPAs are right about the 10th %ile for U MA

A high MCAT doesn't remediate a low GPA...and the discrepancy does raise eyebrows.

If you're boning for the MD, then read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention
Could I message you to ask for some advice?

If being a doctor is what you wanted from day 1, then stick with it - you've worked in the hospital, you have EMT experience, and you have been helping based on your refugee club- All things that show me that you are interested in the field.
If you feel like grades are an issue, I also was the same major as you and had a similar cumulative GPA. My MCAT was not stellar, but good enough to land interviews at many DO schools. I also did a masters program that not only gave me experience with med-school 'like' courses, but showed medical schools that i can handle the work with the high GPA i attained from the program.

With your GPA, you definitely have a chance for DO schools. Couple is with a MCAT of 505+ will definitely make you a good candidate for DO schools. you also are pretty well-rounded with sports and other activities, which DO schools look at and factor into the selection process. You have any publications with that many hours of research? That would be a plus.

Never think about giving up, cause if you do end up in medical school, there will definitely be times when you would want to give up and this is what medical schools do NOT want, hence the rigorous application process you have to undergo in order to get into medical school. Always keep your head up and be confident in yourself.