You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Should I go shadow a Surgeon Tomorrow?
Started by JPodel
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
You should definitely go if you are interested in pursuing medicine when you get to college. Realize that medical schools typically do not consider your experiences during high school for your application, thus you will need to continue to shadow once beginning college.
As far as what to do/wear, I would go to meet the surgeon in business clothes, no suit jacket needed if you're male though a dress shirt/pants/shoes/and a tie is important to show professionalism. If you go into the OR with them you'll change into some scrubs anyway, but you need to look nice when seeing patients.
Don't ask any questions, especially in front of patients. You're simply passively observing. The only thing you stand to gain out of this experience is subjective motivation to pursue this career. Shadowing, especially in the OR, is a whole lot of fun and very exciting, but you're not supposed to be "learning" anything per se. Don't make the surgeon explain to you things you don't understand, because you really won't and aren't expected to. Once things get going though you'll see his/her personality and sometimes the physicians will become very engaged with their shadow. I've even had some print off Up-To-Date articles about what we were seeing so we could talk about it. But for that kinda stuff you just need to let them steer that way, as a default don't ask anything.
As far as what to do/wear, I would go to meet the surgeon in business clothes, no suit jacket needed if you're male though a dress shirt/pants/shoes/and a tie is important to show professionalism. If you go into the OR with them you'll change into some scrubs anyway, but you need to look nice when seeing patients.
Don't ask any questions, especially in front of patients. You're simply passively observing. The only thing you stand to gain out of this experience is subjective motivation to pursue this career. Shadowing, especially in the OR, is a whole lot of fun and very exciting, but you're not supposed to be "learning" anything per se. Don't make the surgeon explain to you things you don't understand, because you really won't and aren't expected to. Once things get going though you'll see his/her personality and sometimes the physicians will become very engaged with their shadow. I've even had some print off Up-To-Date articles about what we were seeing so we could talk about it. But for that kinda stuff you just need to let them steer that way, as a default don't ask anything.
First of all it's perfectly OK to be nervous. Shadowing a surgeon is a big decision and you are only a sophomore in high school. Make sure you are emotionally ready and that the surgeon is someone who respects your values and boundaries and isn't just using you. It's OK to wait until you enter college before you begin your shadowing escapades. Only you will know when you are ready. If you feel that you are then dress conservatively and take care of your hygiene beforehand. Also please be safe and don't forget to use protection.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, I think its a little too early, and I have no clue of what I should talk about with him, and it will be at an outpatient center, not a OR so I don't know...:/First of all it's perfectly OK to be nervous. Shadowing a surgeon is a big decision and you are only a sophomore in high school. Make sure you are emotionally ready and that the surgeon is someone who respects your values and boundaries and isn't just using you. It's OK to wait until you enter college before you begin your shadowing escapades. Only you will know when you are ready. If you feel that you are then dress conservatively and take care of your hygiene beforehand. Also please be safe and don't forget to use protection.
First of all it's perfectly OK to be nervous. Shadowing a surgeon is a big decision and you are only a sophomore in high school. Make sure you are emotionally ready and that the surgeon is someone who respects your values and boundaries and isn't just using you. It's OK to wait until you enter college before you begin your shadowing escapades. Only you will know when you are ready. If you feel that you are then dress conservatively and take care of your hygiene beforehand. Also please be safe and don't forget to use protection.
You are a positive trollotrope.
First of all it's perfectly OK to be nervous. Shadowing a surgeon is a big decision and you are only a sophomore in high school. Make sure you are emotionally ready and that the surgeon is someone who respects your values and boundaries and isn't just using you. It's OK to wait until you enter college before you begin your shadowing escapades. Only you will know when you are ready. If you feel that you are then dress conservatively and take care of your hygiene beforehand. Also please be safe and don't forget to use protection.
All good advice. 👍👍
Moving to hSDN.
Yeah, I think its a little too early, and I have no clue of what I should talk about with him, and it will be at an outpatient center, not a OR so I don't know...:/
You just got trolled, my friend. 😛 In response to your original post, go for it! TexasApp's advice was spot on. I was really nervous for my first shadowing experience too, but it went well and I really enjoyed it.
What type of questions did you ask, and did you every have an awkward time? thanksYou just got trolled, my friend. 😛 In response to your original post, go for it! TexasApp's advice was spot on. I was really nervous for my first shadowing experience too, but it went well and I really enjoyed it.
You aren't really at a stage where you need to be doing this, but if someone is willing to let you shadow and you think it will be cool, it certainly won't hurt. Better to get your awkward "how do I act while shadowing" phase out of the way now so that you don't have to go through it in college, I guess.
If it is going to be outpatient, wear dress clothes and a tie.
Asking questions serves two purposes. They can get you information you need, and they can help the physician warm up to you either because you are showing an interest in their field or because you are asking questions that aren't godawful stupid. Questions you can ask:
"What made you want to go into surgery?"
"What is your schedule like?"
"Why did you specialize in X?" or "What made you stick with general surgery instead of specializing?"
"Knowing what you do know, would you make the same choices?"
"What are the most common surgeries you do/conditions you treat?"
If it is going to be outpatient, wear dress clothes and a tie.
Asking questions serves two purposes. They can get you information you need, and they can help the physician warm up to you either because you are showing an interest in their field or because you are asking questions that aren't godawful stupid. Questions you can ask:
"What made you want to go into surgery?"
"What is your schedule like?"
"Why did you specialize in X?" or "What made you stick with general surgery instead of specializing?"
"Knowing what you do know, would you make the same choices?"
"What are the most common surgeries you do/conditions you treat?"
If I had the chance to shadow a surgeon I would take it in a second, especially if the surgeon is Cardiothoracic or Neurological. If I may ask, how did you get the opportunity? Do you just know an individual and asked if you could follow him into the OR for a day? Is the hospital okay with it?
Good luck mate.
Good luck mate.
I just got back from shadowing him today. It was really fun and interesting! I just called and he said yes. Today was basically all in office check-ups and this Friday, I will be going into the OR to see a Mastectomy! Really cool experience and the doc I am shadowing is the Director of Surgery at a hospital so it is no problem for me to go observe the surgery as long as HR doesn't have a problem with it. 🙂 SO EXCITED!!!If I had the chance to shadow a surgeon I would take it in a second, especially if the surgeon is Cardiothoracic or Neurological. If I may ask, how did you get the opportunity? Do you just know an individual and asked if you could follow him into the OR for a day? Is the hospital okay with it?
Good luck mate.
Make sure to have breakfast that morning. Not eating is a pretty major cause of passing out and looking silly.
I might actually try to do this myself 😛I just got back from shadowing him today. It was really fun and interesting! I just called and he said yes. Today was basically all in office check-ups and this Friday, I will be going into the OR to see a Mastectomy! Really cool experience and the doc I am shadowing is the Director of Surgery at a hospital so it is no problem for me to go observe the surgery as long as HR doesn't have a problem with it. 🙂 SO EXCITED!!!
So you didn't know the surgeon personally? And that is so cool! I hope you have a wonderful time in the OR on friday!
Nope, just called a random surgical associates group and they said yes! You should try it, it took me 10 phone calls till I got 1 to say yes. A lot of doc don't want to deal with students and some don't want to deal with liability, especially hospital based shadowing.. It is really fun and you should definetly do it, it taught me so much, basically behind the scene of surgery. SO ECITED FOR FRIDAYI might actually try to do this myself 😛
So you didn't know the surgeon personally? And that is so cool! I hope you have a wonderful time in the OR on friday!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted393595
First of all it's perfectly OK to be nervous. Shadowing a surgeon is a big decision and you are only a sophomore in high school. Make sure you are emotionally ready and that the surgeon is someone who respects your values and boundaries and isn't just using you. It's OK to wait until you enter college before you begin your shadowing escapades. Only you will know when you are ready. If you feel that you are then dress conservatively and take care of your hygiene beforehand.
👍👍👍
Try not to pass out in the OR
For sure, I do not have that weak of a heart. Today, the surgeon did some small procedures such as draining a hematoma, and there was old, nasty looking blood oozing out and squirting when he pressed it. It did not give me any problems. So don't worry LOL i wont pass outtttt👍👍👍
Try not to pass out in the OR
It's not necessarily a matter of being squeamish about gore, it's an issue of blood pooling in your legs from standing in one place for so long, as well as the heat of wearing a surgical mask and gown. Eat breakfast, move your legs every now and then, and try not to keep your knees continually locked if it's a long case.
Thanks so much for the info!!!!! Its a 2 hour and 30 minute surgery!!!!!! Are you allowed to move even a little bit in the OR while shadowing????It's not necessarily a matter of being squeamish about gore, it's an issue of blood pooling in your legs from standing in one place for so long, as well as the heat of wearing a surgical mask and gown. Eat breakfast, move your legs every now and then, and try not to keep your knees continually locked if it's a long case.
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
It's not necessarily a matter of being squeamish about gore, it's an issue of blood pooling in your legs from standing in one place for so long, as well as the heat of wearing a surgical mask and gown. Eat breakfast, move your legs every now and then, and try not to keep your knees continually locked if it's a long case.
Another big tip is don't be too overzelous with tightening your mask.
Another big tip is don't be too overzelous with tightening your mask.
The only time I've gotten lightheaded and had to sit down was because I tightened a mask up too much when a resident was placing a shiley cath. Between the mask, the gown, and the room being the hottest one in the hospital for some godawful reason, I was feeling ready to go down for the count.
The only time I've gotten lightheaded and had to sit down was because I tightened a mask up too much when a resident was placing a shiley cath. Between the mask, the gown, and the room being the hottest one in the hospital for some godawful reason, I was feeling ready to go down for the count.
Are you allowed to move a little bit in there?
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Are you allowed to move a little bit in there?
What do you mean by a little bit? No one stands perfectly still, so if you mean shifting your weight yes you can move a little bit. If you aren't scrubbed in it is also possible that you might get to sit down for some of the time.
first of all it's perfectly ok to be nervous. Shadowing a surgeon is a big decision and you are only a sophomore in high school. Make sure you are emotionally ready and that the surgeon is someone who respects your values and boundaries and isn't just using you. It's ok to wait until you enter college before you begin your shadowing escapades. Only you will know when you are ready. If you feel that you are then dress conservatively and take care of your hygiene beforehand. Also please be safe and don't forget to use protection.

Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 422