Quantcast

Should I go to Ross or accept this job offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I go to Ross or accept the job offer


  • Total voters
    5

Nick9933

New Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2016
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello and thank you to anyone who reads this and can offer some help with my decision.

The basic low down is this.

So about a week ago I found out I was accepted to Ross, which was the only school I applied to. I eagerly paid the $1,000 deposit and started planning my island adventure. Then, this morning, I was informed of a job offer with Glaxo Smith Klein. In short, I think I would like the job and the salary is the best I've been offered. As much as I can see myself enjoying working there, I do eventually want to be Dr. Nick (DVM) and will do pretty much anything to make sure that happens.

Those are the basics and I have until Monday to return with my decision on the offer. My worst case scenario is I accept the contract (which is 6 months to permanent), skip vet school this year, finish the contract, do not get offered a permanent position, and get rejected when I reapply to vet school next year. The interviewers did tell me that they do everything they possibly can to ensure all hard-working, reliable contractors get offered a full position, but they also admitted there have been a few instances when they couldn't make that happen as much as they wanted to. Also on a side note: two of the people who interviewed me were contracted the same position I was offered through the same agency and have risen substantially within the company.

Again thank you for any input. I can add some more info about the job, myself, and my application to ross if anyone is interested.
 

cowgirla

Oklahoma 2014
10+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2009
Messages
3,629
Reaction score
1,994
I don't think anyone can answer this question for you. Either you want to move to another country to start vet school or you want to start a job in a different field. Do what's right for you. Write a pro con list. Talk to your family/friends. Are random people on the internet really going to change your mind either way?


The only thing that would make me say one or the other- does this job pay enough for you to go to school in a year or two and graduate debt free? If so, take it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2 users

lei325

Pseudo-adult
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
301
Reaction score
22
I agree with cowgirla. If working for a few years to save up money for vet school will allow you to graduate with low to no debt, take the job.
 

jmo1012

SGU (NCSU) c/o 2015!
7+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
3,453
Reaction score
1,331
Its all a pros and cons list ultimately, but things to consider include that you may never get another vet school acceptance offer if you turn this down (though its likely that if ross would take you once they would probably take you again), you may never get another better job offer than this, and you may be unemployed and not in vet school if this job doesnt pan out. Up to you which of the lesser evils sounds better
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user
Top