You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
S
SXCoronado
.
Last edited by a moderator:
Just identify with both. I did since I'm white and Native American and member of a tribe. I said that I didn't want to be considered a minority though.I am applying for the DAT so I may schedule a testing date with Prometric in late summer. I already have my dentpin. I am 1/4th Hispanic (Mexican, specifically) and on the application the ADA asks, "Do you wish to be considered a minority applicant for recruitment purposes?"
Now, I look pretty white. I have green eyes and kinda light brown hair. But my last name is Coronado, which is Hispanic, and I speak Spanish and that part of my culture has influenced my life. But like I said, I look white.
Is it preferable to identify myself as a minority here? Or not?
Help would be much appreciated, thanks!
The language the ada/adea/whatever use is pretty loaded. The "for recruitment purposes" part can make it seem like one is angling for special consideration for admission (whatever that might be). But at the end of the day, the data is used to track score trends amongst the various races/ethnicities that participate in this process.
I won't go into why I think that is valuable, but I recommend the OP disclose what they are along every step.
I write this about a year and a half removed from my DAT and assuming that indicating one's race/ethnicity also opts in to the recruitment question in the original post.
I won't go into why I think that is valuable, but I recommend the OP disclose what they are along every step.
I write this about a year and a half removed from my DAT and assuming that indicating one's race/ethnicity also opts in to the recruitment question in the original post.
S
SXCoronado
The language the ada/adea/whatever use is pretty loaded. The "for recruitment purposes" part can make it seem like one is angling for special consideration for admission (whatever that might be). But at the end of the day, the data is used to track score trends amongst the various races/ethnicities that participate in this process.
I won't go into why I think that is valuable, but I recommend the OP disclose what they are along every step.
I write this about a year and a half removed from my DAT and assuming that indicating one's race/ethnicity also opts in to the recruitment question in the original post.
I agree, the language was pretty loaded. I literally didn't pick an answer and went straight here for outside perspective. I appreciate both of your replies.
I am applying for the DAT so I may schedule a testing date with Prometric in late summer. I already have my dentpin. I am 1/4th Hispanic (Mexican, specifically) and on the application the ADA asks, "Do you wish to be considered a minority applicant for recruitment purposes?"
Now, I look pretty white. I have green eyes and kinda light brown hair. But my last name is Coronado, which is Hispanic, and I speak Spanish and that part of my culture has influenced my life. But like I said, I look white.
Is it preferable to identify myself as a minority here? Or not?
Help would be much appreciated, thanks!
Your answer. You shouldn't have to ask others if this is an appropriate choice. Seems like you know it yourself already. Cheers.
Last edited:
S
SXCoronado
Your answer. You shouldn't have to ask others if this is an appropriate choice. Seems like you know it yourself already. Cheers.
Thank you 🙂
These days men can claim they're women and vice versa... I wonder just how professional schools are going to be able to enforce URM standards with the modern socio-political climate.
I'm mixed and my daughter is 25% Dominican. She is still Dominican to me. She speaks Spanish and spends a lot of time around our culture and my family. I would like someone to come up to me and try to say that she doesn't "count" as Dominican to me. If you feel like you are than you are. BTW my daughter doesn't have a Hispanic last name.
Frankly I don't see why it should matter. A URM from a wealthy family has as good a chance of getting into a professional school as a Caucasian. It should be more about the financial and geographical background of the applicant if anything. Lowering the bar for people just because they're Hispanic or black seems a bit insulting to be honest. It's like giving girls 4 strikes in baseball. Give a guy 4 strikes and he'll probably take a swing at you because it's insulting. But, I digress.
OP I say that if you feel URM, then you are URM, so go for it. The standards are pretty vague and in my opinion, meaningless.
OP I say that if you feel URM, then you are URM, so go for it. The standards are pretty vague and in my opinion, meaningless.
You should totally say you're a minority. The committee will look at you with pity, and will hand you an acceptance letter as they cry and sweep over how sorry they feel for you.
You're good looking by the way.
Unnecessary.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You should totally say you're a minority. The committee will look at you with pity, and will hand you an acceptance letter as they cry and sweep over how sorry they feel for you.
You're good looking by the way.
We have a new drama queen on SDN!
A URM from a wealthy family has as good a chance of getting into a professional school as a Caucasian. .
Can someone confirm this? What's considered wealthy?
You should totally say you're a minority. The committee will look at you with pity, and will hand you an acceptance letter as they cry and sweep over how sorry they feel for you.
You're good looking by the way.
EF YO COUCH!
Can someone confirm this? What's considered wealthy?
Students whose parents pay for their graduate school. Lolf** me would be helpful.
Students whose parents pay for their graduate school. Lolf** me would be helpful.
So, I'll receive zero URM benefits like Cello said even though I'll be checking off that black box and have to take out all my loans in my own name?
So, I'll receive zero URM benefits like Cello said even though I'll be checking off that black box and have to take out all my loans in my own name?
![]()
I think people get URM confused with economically disadvantaged students. The two don't go hand in hand.
I think people get URM confused with economically disadvantaged students. The two don't go hand in hand.
Can go into more detail about that?
Ex: an economically disadvantaged Asian applicant vs financially stable black applicant; both having the same stats. The economically disadvantaged student would have the upper hand, right?
The seat would go to the more qualified applicant, whoever that may be.Can go into more detail about that?
Ex: an economically disadvantaged Asian applicant vs financially stable black applicant; both having the same stats. The economically disadvantaged student would have the upper hand, right?
Can go into more detail about that?
Ex: an economically disadvantaged Asian applicant vs financially stable black applicant; both having the same stats. The economically disadvantaged student would have the upper hand, right?
No they don't. The literature on URM renders more on where the applicant will practice after they advance from dental school. Will an Asian/white applicant practice/serve a in a low income neighborhood where they have low income asian/white patients? Or will will the African american applicant who has matriculated from dental school practice/serve a patient population concentrated with african americans? The latter is more true and that it how it is viewed. More AA/Hispanic populations are underserved in the field of dentistry and those students from those backgrounds that practice tend to serve these populations.
Last edited:
No they don't. The literature on URM renders more on where the applicant will practice after they advance from dental school. Will an Asian/white applicant practice/serve a in a low income neighborhood where they have low income asian/white applicants? Or will will the African american applicant who has matriculated from dental school practice/serve a patient population concentrated with african americans? The latter is more true and that it how it is viewed. More AA/Hispanic populations are underserved in the field of dentistry and those students from those backgrounds that practice tend to serve these populations.
That actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the explanation.
1.
Last edited:
I honestly thought of serving URM, but I felt like I'd end up getting robbed or shot.
I honestly thought of serving URM, but I felt like I'd end up getting robbed or shot.
I honestly thought of serving URM, but I felt like I'd end up getting robbed or shot.
Did you expect people to laugh at that? :/ srrybro
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If it helps your cause go for it. Dont worry about not looking like the stereotypical minority or urm, quite a few people I know were in the same situation and had no problems.
This is such a loaded (and convoluted) topic, no one is going to challenge your claims; if it happens just explain it.
I myself fall under two categories of minority status. One doesnt count as urm, the other is hispanic (Im eastern European but I fit the definition for it). Unlike some of my relatives, I dont identify as either on official documents (ie applications, government forms, etc) for various reasons, however if someone I know/like is genuinely curious in my full background Im pretty open about it b/c I am those things.
This is such a loaded (and convoluted) topic, no one is going to challenge your claims; if it happens just explain it.
I myself fall under two categories of minority status. One doesnt count as urm, the other is hispanic (Im eastern European but I fit the definition for it). Unlike some of my relatives, I dont identify as either on official documents (ie applications, government forms, etc) for various reasons, however if someone I know/like is genuinely curious in my full background Im pretty open about it b/c I am those things.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 689